We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

Well my partner and I arrived this evening from Vancouver. It was dark when we got here and raining in cancun:( it was NOT raining on isla but looks like it rained pretty hard earlier! This is our first time on isla but we have been to playa and cozumel. We love playa but just wanted something a bit more laid back. The condo is nice, the view looks good even in the dark, and we enjoyed the walk to hidalgo (sp?). I am vegetarian and usually eat really healthy at home so I always find it challenging to eat healthy when I'm away, and I'm also really picky yikes!!! My poor boyfriend lol!!! So that being said we decided on " Argentina " something or other as I was assured the veggie fajitas were awesome. My bf ordered BBQ ribs and although the waiter was charming and the service was great, the food was really lacking. I had my fajitas served sizzling on a skillet on a bed of rice which seemed promising however there were only two little wraps and no condiments... No sour cream no salsa no guacamole:( my bf didn't really enjoy his ribs and fries. The ribs were kind of swimming in sauce. Anyhow we have learned our first thing about isla... Not to go back there again!! Now we are chilling in our condo, free wifi, hot showers, and free coffee!! One downside about our condo is the hot tub was not ready for us and i was assured before booking this unit that the hot tub will be heated, so we will see in the morning. Looking forward to our first day of 15. Getting up early to watch the sunrise with a walk on the beach and that's rain or shine.... I'm not really that picky lol

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

Oh, the next two weeks sounds very promising for us back home! Free wireless in your room (hopefully) means we get more daily trip reports. Thanks for posting. Look forward to hearing more. :)

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

We are not fond of Argentina Grill either. Great location and good service but the food tends to be lacking.

Be sure and try CoMoNo for great vegetarian options and Olivia (you need a reservation). Barltio also has terrific vegan options for breakfast and lunch.

Regarding the hot tub, #1 call the front desk and have maintenance check it. #2 many of the spas take a long time to heat so be sure and turn it on well in advance of when you want to use it. Also, if you keep the cover on it during the day, the thermal heat from the sun will help warm it and keep it warmer once you heat it.

Looking forward to lots of updates. Hope today brings lots of sunshine for you.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,976 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to more :) Make sure you try Olivia and Como No for vegetarian.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

We had friends stay in 701 and we were unable to get the hot tub hot throughout their stay--hope you have better luck. Let us know how that turn out--there have been many similar reports. So many, in fact, that we just accepted that the jacuzzi was a plunge pool.

I always wonder whether people start off for L'Argentina Grill or, as I suspect, get pulled in by the most aggressive hawkers on Hidalgo. Not that such lists are empirical, but it's ranked #90 of 92 restaurants on TA.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,976 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

I have to say the fish (mahi mahi) was great at the Argentinian both times that we ate there. So was the Argentinian sausage and French fries plate for under 5 dollars. I guess like with any place, it all depends on what you order.

ct
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

I also wouldn't be afraid to ask restaurants with non vegetarian choices if they could accommodate you. Most places have a lot of veggies on the side. Bobo's has a great caesar salad if you want something light...not sure if dressing has anchovies. I never ask...I'd prefer not to know:)

PA
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

I'm a vegetarian and have been eating on Isla for over 20 years. There's alot of places that can accomodate us non meat eaters!

USA
Level Contributor
698 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

Try Elements of the Island (short walk from your hotel) for breakfast or lunch. They have a vegetable and tofu dishes that come with great bread and jam.

Also if you don't mind taking a taxi or going on a long walk, try Lolo Lorena. Just give her a heads up that you're vegetarian. She does group dinners (but will gladly provide you with vegetarian options) or you can go there for lunch if you want something more casual but still delicious.

Ditto for Comono (not open on weekends) and Olivia for great vegetarian Middle Eastern options.

Enjoy your trip!!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

Regarding the post above. Keep in mind that dinner at LoLo Lorena is by reservation only. Just an FYI.

10. Re: Trip report ixchel beach hotel ph 701 day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 10:26