We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
578 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

Colleen here:

We ate at Olivia...it was FANTASTIC! I dont think I've ever been in a restruant with more ambiance(sp)! What a beautiful little candlelit garden. Awesome meal and great service... Even hubby Mark loved his steak kabob and he really doesnt care for mediteranian food! I had the mixed plate with hummus, chicken kabob (which was a little perfume like), a ground beef kabob, another hummous type sauce. I requested a little tabuli salad and they complied (delish) and the homemade parmesian loaf of bread is not to be missed. Mark requested some olive oil to dip and they brought some real olive juice/oil It was amazing! The coffee is super strong! The ice teas (5 kinds) are homemade and delicious (we had Earl Grey)!

Also ate at Lolo Lorena... GREAT experience, had baby scallops (and I do mean baby) followed by some coleslaw with the secret ingredient of jelly fish, next was mushroom soup with 36 month old truffle oil (HEAVENLY). Main course was either a shepards pie or a seafood casselette (sp). My seafood casselette was good, Mark said the Shepards Pie was not the best he's had. Because Lorena is leaving town, she booked everyone for Thursday, there were supposed to be 20, but ended up being 22. Apparently she cancelled our reservation when another Mark and Colleen called in a reservation for 8. It coincidently was the Mark and Colleen from British Columbia that also read and post on this forum...WHAT A SMALL WORLD!

The company at the dinner were all wonderful people from every corner of the world! Lolo is very accomodating of Celiac, allergies, diabetes, etc which is very nice and she doesnt allow it to affect the rest of the diner's meals- ie she makes a special dish for those afflicted!

More...

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

Mark and Colleen are from Canada (hubby says maybe NOT BC).

We ate at Fredy's last night, I had the legendary Pork Chop which was a bit overcooked and not the best cut, HOWEVER< the people at the table next to us had sent thier Chops back for more cooking and it may have affected mine, AND, thier chops were much better cuts. The flavor was Excellent! Mark had the mixed Mexican plate which was good.

Mark completed his deep dive and Shipwreck dive in one fell swoop (I did not feel confident enough) and last night we did a night dive which was Awesome. We saw 2 Nurse Sharks..(AWESOME!) and many large Angelfish, lobsters, crab, etc. The light Dani (Instructor/guide) had was an LED and the colors were much more vibrant under his light than under mine (waterproof flashlight). I did experience some vertigo at the end of the dive and I was down to 200 on my air guage so buddy shared with Hubby Mark. The vertigo occured when I was looking at my guage (800 at that point) and I had lost sight of bottom. It was during our ascent (sp).

Andres was with us for the trip because he had lost his camera during the day and he wanted to look for it. I feel sorry for his loss. We then dropped one of the flashlights in the water and lost that too, Andres also got some bad news about hisbigger boat's engine, so he had a bad day. All that while fighting a cold...poor guy!

We spent yesterday at the beach, have made another trip to the guy with the Jewelry cart. He said the Abolone id ground and mixed with Limon and applied. I was hoping to buy an Abolone and also see which part they grind up. We bought another bracelet and a pair of earrings...super guy (Mario?). I cant keep all the new people's names straight! We are going to look at a Condo at Nautibeach today...any opinions from experience? It has a view...

We also took another tour of the island (in a golf cart) looking at homes on the east side for August, lots of good possibilities! We stopped at the palace (all inclusive) and toured the grounds, but didnt see a room. I dont think we are interested in all inclusive again.

Thats it for now... only today and tommorow left :((

Colleen :))

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

If it's Marco9 that you're talking about, we met them too! They are from BC but I forgot to ask his wife's name. I had to ask him if he was mark from alaska or marco9 frm BC. Small world!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

So glad you did a night dive! They are so much fun and you have a much better chance of spotting things like sharks and octopus. Was the wreck dive the Canenero between Isla and Cancun? This was Michele's first wreck dive, and the first dive of her life when she experienced that mid-water feeling of not being able to see the bottom or surface, which can freak new divers out a bit. Having learned to dive in the Great Lakes, I'm used to it but it can be a little unsettling. You just have to trust your gauges.

I just bought Michele an LED dive light for Christmas. She had been envying the ones used by the divemasters on Cozumel. And btw, if you go to Coz you'll find the water is so clear you can ALWAYS see both the bottom and surface. I loves me some Isla but the diving on Coz is world class.

New England
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

Hey Colleen and Mark -- glad to hear you have been doing some more diving! Like DMartin said, that feeling of vertigo can happen and indeed does sometimes freak out new divers. Mine happened when I had less than 20 dives and went off the edge of the reef to descend along a wall in Turks and Caicos. Very unsettling! And sounds as if your first "buddy breathing" went well also! Even after 10 years my husband and I try to take time each dive trip to practice skills such as regulator exchange or buddy breathing. To add to DMartin's suggestion for clear water diving I would add Bonaire to the list. Not easy to get there but amazing diving!

Sounds as if you have been having a great time. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

BWD: Turks & Caicos is my all-time favorite diving. We did the T&C Agressor live-aboard (the trip was my son's high school graduation present), and I remember thinking that it was not only the best diving I'd experienced thus far, but that it would be the best diving I ever experienced. Still feel that way.

New England
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

DM216 ... lucky son to have a live aboard graduation present! My husband gets seasick so we don't do boat diving anymore though a friend and I keep talking about a T&C live-aboard trip. Thank goodness we love the shore diving in Bonaire or my husband would have to give up completely and I would lose my dive buddy!

7. Re: Days 8-12... sorry we've been MIA! long post

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2013, 10:19