We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day 10

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
day 10

On our way to Barlitos for cinnamon rolls, it started pouring down rain so we stood under thw awning at Freddy's for about 15 minutes. Then walked on to Barlitos. Tiffany declared that the sun was going to shine the rest of the day because it was her birthday and it did. She deserves it, she was such a nice, helpful person. We planned on bringing a cinnamon roll back for Romy but they only had 2 left. And i already know it's impossible to share a Barlitos cinnamon roll. So I saved him half a sandwich instead. Then I forgot about it and carried it around in my purse all day and had to throw it out.

After breakfast we walked way down the island near a gym (iron horse) and took more photos along the way. Took a cab back for $20MX.

At noon we walked over to the beach. It was a beautiful day. We stayed until it was time for the next meal-dinner. We skipped right through lunch.

For dinner we went to La Lomita. I ordered the bean soup and chili releno (I already knew this was too much food). Gary didn't see anything on the menu that appealed to him so he decided to try the poc chuc here too. I have to say it was the nastiest looking piece of meat I've seen. My food was good but his was terrible. The owner was such a funny, entertaining, nice guy though. We tried to eat as much as we could. I like to try anything but I could not bring myself to try the poc chuc there. And honestly, I liked the looks of the bean soup there but thought the flavor of El Poc Chuc original was much better.

After dinner we had a couple drinks to try the first was the ginger margarita at La Terraza. First let me comment on the artwork/ painting done by the owner or manager. It was amaaaaazing. What a gorgeous place. Do not however sit on the stools at the bar unless you weigh under 100 pounds. Our tiny bartender may be able to sit on them but we couldn't. The ginger margaritas there were amazing as were the regular ones. We drank them very fast and the bartender asked if everything was okay. I said yes, but I have to tell you these barstools are the most uncomfortable things we've ever sat in. She was very nice and the service was great. All the other seating looked comfortable and the crowd looked quite a bit younger than us. We're in our 40s.

Next we wanted to try Miguels. There was a decent band playing and we sat outside. A server came over and took our drink order and later brought mine (2 pomegranetmargaritas). I had such high hopes for these and was so dissapointed. About 10 minutes later they brought Gary's watered down Captain Morgan and cokes. It tasted like our drinks were filled halfway with water then mixed. The servers were friendly enough but they seemed to only want to wait on certain people. We asked for la quenta 3 times and still tipped 20% which made me wish we had given the bartender at La Terraza a 50% tip.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,645 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day 10

“I have to say it was the nastiest looking piece of meat I've seen.”

That has to be the funniest line, ever. LOL for real!

What were the bar seats like at La Terazza that they were so uncomfortable?

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day 10

They were tiny! Like one cheek tiny. The bartender looked like she could fit in one hand so maybe they were modeled after her. These were the seats only along the bar top, the rest looked comfortable. It was gorgeous inside though and I would go back there for the great drinks and friendly service. Those last few days I was on a mission to try to squeeze in all the places on our list that we'd missed.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,645 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day 10

Sounds really great (except for the bar stools, lol) and will definitely try it next trip. Did you have any of their tapas or just drinks? That ginger margarita is making my mouth water and it's only 10 am here :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day 10

La Terraza had opened prior to our last trip and Brad & Tiffany highly recommended it; but if you think it's tough to pick out places for a full week (or 2, in Heather's case) try narrowing it down for a 48-hour stay!

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day 10

I am so glad to hear someone else talk about the weak drinks and lacking service at Miguel's. I swear my pomegranate marg has never had any alcohol in it (except when I was with a well loved expat....coincidence?) and the service is spotty, again unless you are with a beloved regular. My husband won't even go back there anymore. No reason when there are other options where we get great service, feel welcome and there is tequila in my margarita! :)

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day 10

We didn't try any food at La Terrazza but the drinks were fab! I wouldn't go back to Miguels either with so many great places and Romy makes a good pom margarita and a DElICIOUS stawberry margarita. It tastes like fresh picked strawberries.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day 10

We had the opposite experience at Miguel's. We got lots of attention and a short conversation with Miguel. In my younger days I once made 23 consecutive toasts in Russia, so I can hold my own, but 2 Pom margaritas were deceptively strong and it took me an hour to regain my sea legs again! I wonder if the place was packed when you were there-- the crowd was thin in the early evening when we attended.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day 10

We had the opposite experience at Miguel's. We got lots of attention and a short conversation with Miguel. In my younger days I once made 23 consecutive toasts in Russia, so I can hold my own, but 2 Pom margaritas were deceptively strong and it took me an hour to regain my sea legs again! I wonder if the place was packed when you were there-- the crowd was thin in the early evening when we attended.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 03:19
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day 10

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day 10

Miguels was about half full when we arrived. It cleared out in the 15 or 20 minutes we were there. We're pretty experienced drinkers and I was a part time bartender for 2 years, the only deception was a lack of tequilla in our drinks. I really like the taste of tequilla and would rather have regular priced drinks (than 2X1) and be able to taste the tequilla.