We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

I'm coming home, to the place where I belong! This will be my 5th trip back to de Isla (in three years) and my adult daughter's 2nd. I've always stayed in Centro at small boutique hotels but this time, to celebrate her college graduation in mid-May, I would like to spend our last four nights in a private or semi/private small home or B/B. Her main wish is a pool (larger than a dipping pool). Of course, since we'll be two women traveling alone, I'd like to also feel safe walking around the property. We won't need direct access to a beach (we'll get plenty of beach time during our first five nights in Centro), but we will need two beds, minimally, and two bedrooms would be great, for around $150 ish/night. I've researched many and most are either out of our price range or the bed and breakfasts seem to be set up for couples (one king size bed). Casa Zorro (colonias), Casa Rosa (airport), and Casa Marlena (Why is this one so reasonably priced?). Can anyone who has stayed in one of these homes comment, Please?

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

How about Casa Roca Caribe? It has two bedrooms and great views of the Caribbean. The pool is small so that might be the only downside.

http://www.casarocacaribe.com

Edited to add - I don't have any information about the three places you mentioned other than seeing information online. Perhaps someone else will know those specific homes.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 17:50
south carolina
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

We stay at Casa Marlena. There are 2 bedrooms. The pool is not really big but perfect for 2 people and has a shallow area for sunning. I have never written about it on the forum because I don't want to give away my secret!!!! It is not furnished super nice, but with the price and the pool is perfect for my husband and me. The price IS super isn't it? 'There is only one neighbor but I would not feel unsafe. Will be there in 6 days!!! Can't wait!!!

VRBO's pictures are true to form.

Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Are the pools at either place at least larger than a "dipping" pool? I stayed at Casa el Pio and Bahia Chac Chi in the past and loved both properties, but their pools were so small and shaded that we never lounged around or in them. I love the pool at Plaza Alamendros but the place doesn't have that serene feeling I'm looking for because of its popularity with young families and there isn't a sitting area inside the rooms.

south carolina
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Casa Marlena's pool is 4 to 5 feet deep and big enough to float around in. Did you look at the pictures on VRBO? Also, it is a great place for sunning. We hang out there all day.

Columbus, Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Casa Rosa has two rentals. The upstairs has just one room. I think the downstairs rental has two bedrooms.

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Re Casa Marlena and your question: "Why is this one so reasonably priced?"-- Casa Marlena is really in the same price range as the others IF you want air-conditioning. (Read the fine print.) And most people WILL want air-conditioning in May, even when you're staying on the windward side. When you're comparing prices on Isla, you should always determine (1) whether the 14% lodging tax is included in the advertised price ... and (2) whether full or partial air-conditioning is included.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,338 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Check out Casa Punta Piedra. It seems to have everything you're looking for and within your budget. And Mornings in Mexico is great to deal with. We've done it for many years in our travels to Isla and she's very helpful and quick to respond to emails.

www.morningsinmexico.com/casapuntapiedra.htm

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
822 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

I think that Casa Roca Caribe would be perfect for you.

Two bedrooms, air conditioning, a great view, and a pool. The pool is larger than it looks in the pictures. It's not a lap pool by any means, but we were comfortable with four good sized adults and a floating cooler. My friend and I spent a nice morning floating on lounge-type floaties while our men were fishing and didn't feel crowded at all.

The American owner lives very nearby to help with any issues, and he is very nice. There's also a washer and dryer so you could go home with clean clothes.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

One of the Nautibeach condos would fit the bill, and in May, the price may be within budget. There isn't a prettier property on Isla and it's got it all - pool, beach, restaurant, 2 bedrooms, front terrace, and close to town.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small Private/Semi-Private Home?

Like heatandsun said..Nautibeach specials for May..I saw $110 plus tax on both islabeckons.com and lostoasis.net. :-)