We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isla vs cozumel

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
isla vs cozumel

I have been to cancun and plays del carmen. I have been to cozumel 6 times and i am thinking of switching it up this trip and going to isla. I already know that my husband wants to stay at the palace so our hotel is picked. I have visited isla twice once to the turtle farm before wilma and once 3 years ago. I have a few questions and was wondering if someone could help. How far is GOOD snorkeling from the palace? I have heard of kings bath? is that a good place? Also wheres the best place for lobster ? thank you .

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isla vs cozumel

How far is GOOD snorkeling from the palace? I have heard of kings bath? is that a good place? There's Garrafon de Castillo and Garrafon Park close by. There's also El Farito - Centro. King's Bath is at Avalon (also Centro) and some people say they got to snorkel there and others say they couldn't. The hotel staff may or may not let you go.

Also wheres the best place for lobster? Lobster season ended at the end of February and doesn't start again until July 1. There's apparently some in tanks (Brisas Grill, Mininos, Rolandi's?) and some are frozen. Do a forum search on 'lobster'...there's a few postings from the last week.

:-)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: isla vs cozumel

Have you visited the Palace on Isla? It's really small compared to other Palace resorts. I wandered by and was underwhelmed by the beach. I'd much rather stay close to Playa Norte.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isla vs cozumel

I am looking for a small , quiet place and the husband love the palaces. Should i get the transfer to and from the ferry or are there cabs? I plan on visiting the island in august and really CAN NOT WAIT ! I love cozumel but want to try some thing different ALSO I have read soo many good food reviews that I can't wait to hit the local eateries !

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: isla vs cozumel

The best snorkeling on Isla is via boat, and while it is fun, I don't think any snorkeling on Isla could compare with Cozumel, which is known for its world class snorkeling and diving. But Isla is so lovely! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isla vs cozumel

We also book a transfer from the airport to the ferry, as it is easy and cheaper than a cab - we use Best Day usually, but there are several reliable companies. :)

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isla vs cozumel

I must agree that coz is wonderful for snorkeling but the husband got to pick this trip and isla is what he picked. Like i said I have visited but have never stayed on the island and am super excited ! I always bring donations for the red cross and the animal shelter when I go to cozumel is there a animal shelter and red cross that would like donations on isla ? thank you

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: isla vs cozumel

That's so nice of you wickedwitch25! :-)

Check the right hand side...Top Questions about Isla Mujeres..there's a whole section on "How can I make a difference? Donations and volunteering."

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: isla vs cozumel

You guys also might enjoy a trip to Isla Contoy - we go with Capt Tony. It is just a day trip . . . but very nice with some good snorkeling. :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: isla vs cozumel

You should be aware that most "good eateries" are not close to the Palace, it is not in Centro. It's about halfway down the island, not within walking distance, you would have to take taxis or perhaps rent a golf cart for your stay. There are some restaurants fairly close but not the majority.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: isla vs cozumel

We plan on renting a golf cart for a day or two to get around (plus for the fun of it) Is there anything close to the palace that is a must do? Also how far is the palace to the ferry dock?