We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

We decided to leave from Orlando to Cancun and flew Jet Blue. Jet Blue was awesome as always and super easy to fly with. The price of air fare increased quite a bit since our last trip in October 2011, I was suprised. We left Orlando at 8:20 AM and arrived in Cancun at 8:20 AM.

We used USA transfer's to get us from the airport. It cost's a bit more than Bestday but we like the direct drive straight to Puerto Juarez. We were on Isla by 10:45 AM.

The plan was to rent a golf cart straight off the ferry but I was surprised to see the 24 hr rate at 650 pesos's. We decided to walk into Hidalgo and grab breakfast instead. We stopped for sandwiches at Barlito's. (Delish as always) We walked to Elektra to change money into peso's and then Ciro's to snag a cart. Again 650 peso's !! I thought that was going to be the set price because it was in high season, holiday times too, so we went ahead and secured a cart for one day w/ them. They have brand new carts that are bright colors.

We checked in at La Joya into room number 6 (Orquidea). This is the one with the large grassy terrace. The hotel was gorgeous. We then got unpacked . We hung around the pool and beach for awhile and then decided to go visit our friends at Soggy Peso's.

Time seems to shift for me on Isla and all my days run togeather at some point so I am just going to outline the highights of our week from here.

We visited Capitran Dulche's beach club for a day, that was nice . I believe the drinks were around 65 pesos for cocktails, We did not eat any food there but looked over the menu and they seemed to have a good selection.

We at at LoLo Lorena's one evening and had a nice time in the garden eating and talking with nice people. LoLo's is a wonderful unique experience that everyone should try! You will leave there having tried things you might never have had before and the ambiance is unbeatable.

We found less expensive golf carts from Omar on Hidalgo and rented one from him for a couple days, 420 pesos. They were not as nice and sparkly as ciro's carts, but I am not picky.

We spent a couple days lounging around the pool and reading at the hotel.

We had a wonderful dinner at Qubano's one evening. I love the new location and addition to the menu and the bar ! Our food was amazing as always. The extra space and seating on Hidalgo makes it so much more comfortable too.

We visited Punta Sur and took some pics and had some drinks at the restaraunt there.

Us and a local friend, took a fishing trip for the day and went 13 miles out fishing, caught a black fin tuna and some other kind of fish. Then we anchored off of Playa Norte and went swimming and toured Makax.

We spent several evenings having a few drinks at our normal usual watering hole's. Chi Chi and Charlie's,Seso Loco's, Soggy Peso's.. The staff and service at all these places are amazing.

We spent anorther couple evenings at the new Bahia Tortuga enjoying the new bar and staff. This place is great. The hotel, bar, and pool are beautiful. It's really nice being able to take a dip in the pool after a few cocktails in the afternoon while listening to live music. Staff and service is excellent. The rooms are very nice too !

We had breakfast and lunch at Mango Cafe. This place is so neat and eccletic. The food is awesome and everything we have tried here has been superb.

Even though we loved our room and hotel at La Joya we decided it was just too far from town for us so we left a night early and went to the Color De Verano. Teresa had a studio available for us and we stayed there since we wanted to be in town and be able to walk to the 6:30 AM ferry. We will be staying somewhere mid town next time so we can walk if need be.

A local friend showed up at the 6:30 am ferry to give me a bracelet his mother had made for me.. It's people like this that I enjoy so much and makes Isla so special. People can be so kind here. The island and it's people will always have a special place in my heart.

Some pics :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k-lauren/

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Thanks for the trip report! Love the pictures; you have a very good eye :) My favorite is the one of the path with the blue railing at Punta Sur. The hotel looks amazing. Is the terrace of room six private or shared?

One thing though. I know Jet Blue is terrific, we use them too, but it's really something how your flight took no time at all ;-)

Thanks again; it was great!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

The terrace is totally private and the largest out of all the other rooms I believe.

About the flight times..My husband said we are now officially time traveler's !

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Yah, I'm traveling with Jet Blue going forward...cause I don't have time to waste! :)

Great trip report and amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Your photos are lovely! :-) And thanks for sharing all the info (especially the golf carts..lol) and La Joya looks SO nice! Thank you! :-)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Time traveling.. I like that :)

That room and terrace look fabulous! Was it difficult getting cabs at night into Centro? Or you just wanted to be walking distance to everything?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Forgot...great photo of Capitan Dulche's beach area...that looks really nice! :-)

Time travel..teleportation..lol. :-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

No, it was fairly easy getting a cab. If you just set out walking one would find you within 5 minutes but being high season they almost always charged us 100 pesos to get to Hidalgo. To get back would be another, 100 or so, sometimes it would be 90, 70, 120.. There really was no rhyme or reason to the pricing and with limited spanish on both ends discussing amounts was somewhat difficult.

PA
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

Great report!

Three more weeks and counting.....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

thanks so much for your report. We are going to be staying a week in room 6 at la joya in 307 days 13 hrs 28 mns and 7,6,5 seconds..... lol. it was nice to see the pics and the grass terrace looks awesome!!!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 03/28/12 - 04/04/12

I agree. It looks so wonderful. I'd definitely stay in that room :)

Kelly, what kind of meals do they serve and did you eat there at all?