We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
447 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

Just returned from Isla, we had a great time. The weather and people again perfect. I will try to make this not too long but want to highlight on key elements of the trip. First off we stayed at the El Milagro Marina. This place is just what we wanted, very clean and comfortable and just outside of town. The staff is what makes is even more special. They cooked meal that was one of the best we had on the island. (grilled snapper, shrimp fajitas, rice, beans and guacamole. Free use of kayaks and stand up paddle boards topped off a great view from our balcony which we could see both sides of the island for sunrise and sunsets. This place is also very centrally located between the Iguana Bar and the Soggy Peso and Bahia Torguga which makes it easy to walk to them all. We used their bikes to ride over to the Mango Café twice. Which brings me to the best breakfasts we had, we had two of their signature items, coconut French toast and their stuffed pabalano pepper, stuffed with scrambled eggs, ham and rolled in cornflakes. We also went to Chuuk Kay one night and had their mixed ceviche. I still think this is the best on the island. I like this place a lot but we were the only table there. It surprises me since both times I’ve been there the food is really good. We also enjoyed the fish tacos at both Picus and at Bally Hoo. I prefer the grilled fish tacos but the fried ones at Bally Hoo were very good too. Make sure you add the tamarind sauce it brings out some great flavor. On Sunday we went to the Soggy Peso and had the mixed grill (half a rack of ribs, grilled chicken, smoked sausage and sides of cornbread and potato salad) all for 135 pesos. The ribs fell off the bone. No barbeque sauce just a very good dry rub. The place was packed as I believe it is often on Sundays. I had left a hat there in December so we all signed it to mark another good time had. From there we went over to check out the Bahia Tortuga Bar. This place is very nice only three months old. The palapa bar was very nice as were the owners who came over to say hi. We toured a couple rooms that were very nice too. On our last night we had dinner at Angelos on Hidalgo. I had the grilled grouper which was done perfect. My friends split a pizza and some pasta, both were very good too. The pizza had a nice thin crust and is cooked in a wood stove. I could keep going on but I will not. The trip was just what we all needed . Good weather, relaxation, friendly people and above all the beauty of Isla Mujeres.

I can’t wait to return.

Thanks to all who support Trip Advisor. I met a lot of people on Isla and they all said they read this forum regularly for ideas.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

Thanks for the great trip report. The marina place sounds wonderful and it's good to know they have kayaks and SUPs. Did you take them out?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
447 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

yes we id use the kayaks and SUPs

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

Sounds fun :)

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

It's okay if you want to go on and on :). I don't get that about Chuuk Kay either. That was one of my top 3 meals on Isla and we had a lot of them in 12 days! The first time we went to ChuuK Kay there was one or two tables with people seated and the second time was the same way. Maybe because it's kind of hard to find?

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

I agree - trip reports are never too long. As for Chuuk Kay, it is a great place and it is difficult to find. Maybe people aren't as willing to go off the beaten path. We missed the turn twice but I was determined to get there and it was well worth the detours. When we were there mid-February my husband and I were the only two at lunchtime. I think it is busier during happy hour? We had planned to go back later that week but unfortunately never made it. Chuuk Kay is definitely on our list when we visit Isla in December. Bahia Tortuga is another must that I am putting on our list. I want to check out the rooms - they would fit my budget for another visit (fingers crossed) in February. The El Milagro Marina sounds interesting, as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

I was just raving about Bally-Hoo's tamarind sauce yesterday! The fish tacos are great to begin with, but once you add the tamarind sauce they're really over the top. We persuaded them to sell us 2 bottles for 50 pesos each.

7. Re: Trip Report..."A Good Time Was Had"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:18