We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

Just returned from our first trip to IM. Had the most amazing time. Does anyone have the recipe or have tried to duplicate the coconut french toast at the Mango Cafe? I CAN'T stop thinking about it.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

I don't have the recipe but found these clues on a blog:

http://foodmusings.ca/category/isla-mujeres/

"They use conchas (a sweet bun sold in Mexican bakeries) and coat them in coconut and almonds. It was cooked to perfection, crispy on the outside but melt in your mouth tender on the inside and surprisingly not overly sweet."

You might can find the buns at a local Mexican market and then experiment.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

They also soak them in eggnog and give it time to soak all the way through. It's almost misleading to call it French Toast, however--more like a cross between bread pudding and a souffle. Whatever--it's delicious and also one of our favorite Isla dishes.

Brainerd, MN
Level Contributor
230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

They soak them overnight I was told.

somerset
Level Contributor
393 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

Haven't tried it but sounds yummy I love coconut. We visited eldorado seaside suites, their French toast in the la vida restaurant was delicious. I think it was saffron bread a lot like brioch with strawberrys and cream cheese, fab

Edited: 27 April 2012, 06:07
Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

Polo, the owner of Mango Cafe is a great guy. I am sure if you email him, he would give you the recipe. His email is payisla@hotmail.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
168 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

This is really sad...I haven't tried either version (didn't know about it a year ago and this year Mango Cafe was closed for vacation) and I am trying to find a recipe for coconut french toast that I have never tried but am craving like crazy!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

"They also soak them in eggnog"

Rompope seems much more likely.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

OK,, this is confusing because there are now two threads going about this. I retract everything I said in Post #2 of this thread. Read the other to see why.

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

Interesting DM! I did post this after returning from IM in April. This thread did indeed magically appear! Happy Thanksgiving! Much to be thankful for.

10. Re: coconut french toast at Mango Cafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:15