We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
327 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare?

Is $540 too much for airfare coming out of Baltimore to Cancun round trip ? Please let me know if this is reasonable.

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare?

Hard to say. When are you flying? Is it non-stop? Do the times work for you? Sounds reasonable enough for me if it is for non-stop flights with decent flight times.

Iowa
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare?

We paid just under $500.00 round trip non-stop out of MSP, airfare seems to be a little higher this year, and I heard there will be fewer flights offered (in our area) so I just sucked it up and booked it. I have heard depending on who you use to book your flights some of the companies offer reimbursement if the prices come down.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare?

Unless someone has experience flying from Baltimore, it would be hard to gauge, particularly since you didn't indicate when you would be flying. I plugged in the dates for my next trip (Sept. 1-8) and found flights as low as $350 r/t on Air Tran (nonstop) and several flights in the $400 - $450 range but with very limited availability.

Airfares go up and down. From O'Hare, I usually see r/t to Cancun range between $400 and $600 depending on when you book (and I should note that we usually check American only since that's where we have miles). We get the best results booking air almost right after coming home from the previous year's trip--so about 10-11 months in advance. While we might miss out on a sale, we can be confident that the average price is much lower 11 months out than it would be only a month or two out.

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare?

From Philadelphia non stop on USA it is currently $669.00. Almost double what I paid last year.

Iowa
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare?

DMartin, we always book our airfare early too, so far we have never lost out and we had the flight times that worked best for us! Getting there early to enjoy the 1st day!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare?

Another air tip, assuming you're planning on going on to Isla:

Avoid an early morning return flight, since you'll have to take the ferry across the Bahia and then either a cab or van to the airport. At the Cancun airport you really do want to follow the advice to arrive 3 hours before your flight, and if you have an early flight there won't be enough time to take the earliest ferry, requiring that you spend your last night in Cancun. We prefer flights no earlier than about 12:30 PM. That usually puts us on a 9 AM ferry.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare?

Flights out of Houston non-stop to Cancun are now running between $432 (if your'e lucky) and $700. The cheapest flights have a 7:00AM return from Cancun. As DMartin says, not a good plan for those of us vacationing on the island. I can't understand how many of you get cheaper flights from cities much farther away than Houston. I'm so jealous.

Can't wait for Southwest to start flying out of Hobby. Maybe we'll see some relief from these sky high United fares.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 17:01
West Kelowna
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare?

I can book now for next Jan @ 609.00 on Westjet, from Kelowna BC (about 200 miles East of Vancouver) non-stop. Return flight has a short change of planes in Calgary. Times are excellent, leave CUN at 1:20 PM. Taxes are about 150:00 on top of the airfare

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare?

DMartin, I agree with you on the booking early. We paid 340 RT pp for the trip we just took. It was non-stop from Boston with great times but I had to book the flights separately. Booked outgoing back in September (I think) for April and they didn't have flights available to book for May so I had to check every day for them. It was stressful and annoying. I booked the return flight as soon as I saw it online for 190pp and within hours that same flight was 245pp then 275pp. A month before my trip I checked just for the heck of it and that flight was 475pp!!! Just the return. Ouch! I will never wait to book a flight.

I have been trying to book flights now for our trip next April but unfortunately Jetblue is the only airline that I can find that has nonstop flights from Boston and they don't book 331 days out like other airlines. I have no idea when I will be able to book a flight for April and it's stressing me out!

Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare?

airfare cost is ridiculous this year !