We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Hotels / Private rental

La Vida Dulce - Saw all 3 rooms....stayed in #2 and loved it. Great palapa roof and the dipping pool was a bonus! Jeri and Steve are awesome people (and the cat, Pirate) and I would definitely return here. Great place!

Hotel Las Palmas - Booked the king balcony but due to electrical issues got upgraded to the penthouse as soon as I arrived...nice bright room, super hot roof terrace but a nice little pool to cool down in.

Xbulu-Ha - Third time...loved it just as much as previous visits. xo

Caribbean Casa - Casita Isladise - WOW! Amazing! I almost don't want to talk about it as it's such a great place! :-)

Restaurants/Bars

French Bistro - My new favourite..I was here almost every day! Caesar salad, lobster and shrimp, garlic shrimp, shrimp kebabs, spaghetti and shrimp (my favourite!), shrimp with curry...bit of a theme now that I'm typing this out..shrimp shrimp shrimp...lol...crepe suzette, delicious sangria, awesome breakfasts..amazing place and staff!

Picus - Brochette de mariscos is excellent. great coconut shrimp, conch, filete de picus (so good!)...still loved it here..great food, prices and awesome staff!

La Cazuela's - So so...my breakfast (Mexicana eggs)wasn't great but the staff are super nice.

Tacos Tumbras - Carmen and Perfecta are still there...really good breakfasts for cheap! I tried all 3 smoothies, ham and cheese sandwich, omelet and Mexicana eggs (I liked those the best).

Acantilado - 2-4-1 Carlsberg..lol...they have still have very good shrimp tacos!

Playa Lancheros - Bit spendy and took 1 hour 20 min to get food..ended up getting it to go. Wasn't worth the visit.

Rene and Renee - They are such wonderful people! Stopped in for breakfast (omelet).

Da Luisa - Best pico de gallo I ate on the island...really good guacamole too with a beautiful view.

Tropical Pomodoro - Same thin crust ham and mushroom pizza as last time! :-)

Mananas - Excellent breakfast. The fruit smoothie is a meal all to itself. Great breakfast bagel.

Sunset Grill - Stayed the afternoon on the beach and then had dinner there....excellent shrimp pasta!

Tres Mentiras - Beers only...super nice owner and I wish her great success.

La Mexicana Chicken (Guerrero location) - 3 family dinners for 300 pesos...2 dinners fed 8 (6 adults and 2 children)...we had an entire family dinner left over. Delicious!

Dopi's - Nice staff but didn't care for my shrimp curry burrito.

Fredy's - Didn't really like my food or my experience there.

Chimbos - Rented a chair for 100 pesos and hung out for a few hours. Decent prices on their water/drinks.

Bally Hoo - Quick breakfast of coffee and an excellent bagel. Solange and Wilberth are still there...lovely people.

Koko Nuts - Cocktail before dinner...the waitress making out with her boyfriend in the chairs behind all the patrons was pretty unprofessional and she couldn't get her prices straight.

Justicia Social - Breaded conch...good. Cool view.

Brisas Grill - Coconut shrimp..was ok. Staff were very nice.

La Adelita - Great service, reasonable drink prices.

Chuuk Kay - Shrimp empanadas...interesting flavour..glad I tried them.

Don Chepo - My favourite queso fundido!

Sushi Island - Excellent! Ordered 2 times...great food!

Taqueria Medina - Queso fundido but not as good as Don Chepo.

La Lomita - Delicious yucatan pork!

Aluxes Coffee House - Wonderful fresh banana bread!

Villa La Bella - Pina colada..best ever! Served in a cool coconut cup with shaved coconut on top and a nice golden chunk of pineapple. Great staff! They also came out with cold wash cloths that smelled so good.

Bahia Tortuga - Went to hear the band that night...place was packed! Reasonable drinks and the band was awesome!

La Terraza - Went for a night cap but the band had finished playing already. Cute place..I'd go back there again.

Street food

Panuchos....excellent! 3 for 20 pesos.

Flan lady....30 pesos for a huge chunk...it was delicious!

Hotels visited

Casa Ixchel - Checked out the Contemplation and Harmony rooms...quite nice. Loved the pool and the view.

La Joya - So glad I went...what a great view...lovely, clean and bright rooms and the managers were really nice. Fairly new restaurant with reasonable prices now at the hotel.

RocaMar - A door was open and the room was empty so I walked in lol....sparse but clean with a lovely view. Deal when I was there was $40 a night for a downtown view.

Maria Leticia - Met Nivardo by accident one evening walking around..he happily showed me 3 rooms...basic, clean and cheap.

El Milagro and Casa el Pio are the final two I saw...glad I went for a visit but don't think I'll stay in the future.

Internet and phone calls

Adrien's next door to the Super Xpress for 20 pesos for internet and 10 pesos for calls.

Across from Mananas - little shack. I never paid more than 5 pesos here for internet.

DigaMe - it was super hot in there and the lady was burning some serious incense that'll choke you to death..lol..but the call was only 3 pesos.

Jewelry

Alejandro (Purple store) - He's an awesome man. Great prices, jewelry repair, beautiful pieces.

Alejandro (Mr. Opal) - Same with this Alejandro...he is such a sweet person...I'm glad Jeri told me about him. Thanks Jeri! Great prices, super interesting man (loads of info on fire opals, rock/boulder opals).

Golf cart

Ciro's - 450 per day or 550 for 24 hours

Another great visit!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Thanks WIBS. Sounds like a great trip. You ate at many of my favs and some on my "next time" list. Great info on what you liked at each. Totally agree on la Vida dulce - amazing amenities for the price.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,976 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Wow, WIBS, thanks for the super list and report :) So glad you liked French Bistro. It’s one of my favorites too! And ditto on Manana. It’s such a great little place and their falafel platter with hummus is the best anywhere. I’m so glad to hear Sushi Island is still open; no one every mentions it so wasn’t sure and when I asked no one responded. So it’s good to hear because I’m definitely stopping by next time.

Sounds like to got to check out a lot of places. That's great and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

The French Bistro…I'm still dreaming of the food there..it was so fresh....just delicious and I loved the location...close enough to Hidalgo yet far enough away..lol. :-)

One place I wish I’d gone to that Jeri mentioned is Cocina Economica on Juarez (which became a new street for me to stay on this trip..I loved it…at night time it was full of life and activity)..it’s pretty much across from La Vida Dulce. Next time? lol…

Sushi Island was a fantastic surprise for me...I love sushi but hadn't really thought about having it on the island. I'm glad I went..the guy that makes it is very talented..the dishes have names like Punta Sur, Isla Mujeres etc. I also really enjoyed the fried rice dish.

Manana..I lucked out..they'd been closed for the first week or so and I thought they were closed for good..then one day it was all opened up and I decided to wander down there. Glad I did..great food....really nice bathroom too (no scary bathroom stories this trip....lol).

Forgot I went to Garrafon de Castillo for the afternoon...I checked out their rooms too (LOL no thanks)..800 pesos...the place has such great potential but it was really a bit of a pit to me. Anyway…50 pesos entrance, 10 pesos for fish food...it was ok to hang out for a few hours..not that many different types of fish (mostly sargeant majors). The iguanas were really cool…they were all over the place. One thing speaking of bathrooms….for a little beach club type place, they could spend a couple bucks on toilet seats perhaps? lol…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Ahhh.... I miss Pirate..... I too really liked Vida Dulce, highly recommend it.

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Thanks so much for posting this, WIBS! I'm making notes based upon the places you enjoyed. Really looking forward to Bahia Tortuga and hope we make it when the band you heard is playing!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,976 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

WIBS, where is Koko Nuts? Can't place it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Hola! Koko Nuts is on Hidalgo..same side as La Adelita and Faynes I believe.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Welcome back!! I'm glad to see that Mananas is still open - they serve a churrasco that was really, really good!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

Hey thanks! :-) Mananas is such a cozy little spot too...you can sit quiet and read or pull up a chair at the counter overlooking Guerrero..nice place..I'm glad it was open. Afterwards I headed to Elektra...love looking at all that stuff...a scooter is the same price as a big tv..lol. :-)

I've been thinking of the chicken wings from both the Super Xpress and Chedraui...yum! They were really good and super cheap...I think I paid 22 pesos for 15-20 splits. What a great deal!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in a nut shell. :-)

hey WIBS. what i dont understand is how you got out to so many places with it raining so hard day in and day out?