We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Street Food

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale Heights
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Isla Street Food

What's your favorite? Where are they and what's the cost like? 123 more days...it's killing me.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Street Food

Flan lady outside of the Super Express - 30 pesos for a huge chunk, fork and napkin. Grab a bench and people watch.

Panucho man was also outside of the Super...3 for 20 pesos and either chicken or beef (?) I had chicken...I got a sangria pop for 8 pesos and had a great little snack.

Wish I'd tried more street food. And even though this isn't 'street food' I really enjoyed the chicken wings from the Super and from Chedraui. :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Street Food

I don't know if WIBS is referring to the same thing but in front of Super Express, there is sometimes someone selling this chocolate cake topped with flan. De-li-cious! The chocolate cake is so moist. I loved it. 30 pesos if I recall well. He's not there often though.... I only saw him once last time and sadly, it was right after I had had flan at Pita Amore (quite good as well) so I passed. I shouldn't have, never saw him again.

Of course, there are the marquesitas, the rolled-up crispy crepes. 20 pesos or 30 if you get gringo taxed! ;)

I also like the bags of mangoes in which they squeeze lime and add a spoonful of chili powder. You will find some at the North end of Hidalgo. 15 pesos.

The sweets truck is also at the North end of Hidalgo. 5 pesos per pastries or cookies.

Tacos made in the street in front of Brisas Mexicana were good too. 20 pesos.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Street Food

Hey gatine...no, never saw that man. It was a lady that sold flan as well as 2 different kinds of tortas (chicken and cheese). It's like a buffet outside the Super Xpress..lol. :-)

I forgot all about the marquesitas...I've still never had one. I did see the mango cart and the sweets truck at the end of Hidalgo..there's another little place (loncheria type?) at the end of Hidalgo..there was a young lady eating a huge bowl of mixed fruit..looked awesome.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Street Food

Flan from the lady on Juarez just down from La Lomita - she sells the BEST flan from a table outside her house. We stopped there almost every evening on our way home from dinner.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Street Food

Marquesitas w/ cheese & nutella.

Bimbo dogs w// the works.

Limon shaved ice.

Chocolate ice cream.

ct
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Street Food

Definitely bimbo dogs and marquesitas-I didn't see the guy from last year at all and the older guy charged us 30 pesos instead of the usual 20 the last night.

ct
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Street Food

I forgot-not really street food, but Tino's Ribs Saturday and Sunday next to Bobo's! Get the boneless. I think they are called poc chuc-ordered in English this time (he flipped the menu around for me) and ended up with the ones with bones:(

chicago
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Street Food

We never did find Tino. Is he directly next to Bobo's? It looked like Bobo's owned both storefronts. Oh well, next time. But we did buy tamales from a lady who sold them from a little storefront that were great. Also when we were there on the weekend there was some guy selling chicken tamales that were pretty good. We had a marquesita (or two) every day. I think that guy and his brother do pretty well as there was always a line whenever they were there, especially in mid-afternoon. And while we had the flan in front of the

Super Express, I think we liked the flan from the lady down the street from La Lomita better.

Garwin, Iowa
Level Contributor
239 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Street Food

We had Churros outside the Super Express the 2nd night here that were great, but he hasn't been there since :(. The tortas were very good also.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Street Food

Churros, marquisetas, orange juice, tortas .

A lot of people like the Bimbo dogs, (hot dogs) they put too much stuff on them for my taste. I had a bite of a delicious cheeseburger from a cart near the ferry one night.

I have a goal to try more street food on my next trip!