We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going back to the airport

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
going back to the airport

If I have an international flight (cancun to US), how long would it take to get from the Isla side, taking a ferry, then a car to the Cancun airport? also, how long does it typically take (at the end of July) to get through the airport (customs, security, etc.)? I am worried about making a 9 am flight, because the first ferry doesn't leave Isla Mujeres until 6am. Is that going to be enough time?

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going back to the airport

They like you there 3 hours ahead of time but if all goes smoothly, you should be at the airport by 7 or a little after. You said "car" so I assume it's a transfer company and not your driving. Otherwise that means returning a rental car which will add quite a bit more time. As for how fast you can get through check-in, security, etc., it's hard to say. I've seen it be a total horror, and I've seen it where you zip right through.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going back to the airport

Yes, I read that transfer services are faster, and sometimes safer. Is Cancun airport busy this time of year? Is it busier certain times of the day? Do you know if they have a cut off time? (like in the US, if you are not 1 hour early, you cannot get on an international flight)....Thanks so much for your help!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: going back to the airport

We had an 11:50 am flight and we took the 8:30 Ferry. There was plenty of time. It was last July and it was pretty busy at the airport. (I have seen it much worse) Seemed like customs was moving quickly. It actually took longer to check in.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 16:22
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going back to the airport

While they say they would like you there 3 hours ahead of time I think you'll be ok with 2. Unfortunately there's no way to predict morning traffic from ferry to airport, and one accident can tie up traffic just like here in the States.

July can be busy with nationals traveling as well Europeans, but again, it depends. Some days (weekends) are busier than others (Wednesday for instance) so again, it's hard to predict.

But even with all that I can't see you cutting it so close that they won't let you on the plane. If you really want to be on the safe side and not stress, you may consider staying at a hotel close to the airport the night before, like the Marriott

secure.hotelsbycity.com/hotel/?rs_hid=8731305

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going back to the airport

On our last trip we took a 9:30 ferry for a 12:30 flight (Ciro's wasn't able to take our cart back before 9 as promised). While i was worried we were cutting it close, we had plenty of time, but this was on a Monday (slow day) in September (slow season). If you book a transfer company they will tell you which ferry to be on, but if the 5:30 isn't running now 6 would be your only option. That should get you to the airport by 7. If it's a Saturday or Sunday this could be tight. You never know what to expect at CUN--I've breezed right through on some trips but on others there was a line literally out the door, especially on weekends.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going back to the airport

As it happens, we'll be leaving there on a Wednesday, so we're hoping it wont be so busy. Also, hoping it wont be as busy that early in the morning. Is it best to book those transfer companies online in advance? ...Good to know about the carts by the way. We'll have to take ours back the day before.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going back to the airport

I hate the stress of feeling that I'm cutting it close to get to the airport - especially on the way home; all that angst kinda defeats the purpose of the vacation for me.

For that reason, if I were in your position, I'd seriously consider taking a ferry from Isla to the mainland the previous evening and spending the night at a hotel near the airport. Sure, it'd mean losing one night on Isla but for me, that'd be far more preferable than the stress (and potential expense) of a missed or nearly missed flight.

Of course, everyone's risk tolerance is different and YMMV.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 16:42
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going back to the airport

Yes, book the transfer company online prior to your trip. We always use USA Transfer for all our trips, not just to Isla but all over the Maya Riviera. Excellent, reliable company. You can book them online here:

http://www.usa-transfers.com/

You pay full price when they get you at the airport, then on the way back you just tip.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: going back to the airport

Last July our daughter took the 5:30 am Ferry then a taxi to the airport for 8:00 am flight (United). Bestday would not agree to meet them at the first Ferry (from Isla to Cancun) at 6:00am, because of the "be there 3 hours early rule". They had no problem getting a taxi to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mission Viejo ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: going back to the airport

we got back Friday. Used AGI airport transportation. Our flight departed Cancun at 6:40pm. Left Punta Sur IM at 3pm, arrived at ferry at 3:10. Ferry departed at 3:30 and takes 25 minutes to get to Puerto Morelos. Another 45 mins to airport. It took us 1 hour at airport to check in, get thru safety check. We had 1 hour to eat before boarding. Allow 3 hours from Isla is plenty of time

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Sur
Punta Sur
2,840 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico