We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's been 24 hours already!

Montreal
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
It's been 24 hours already!

We got here yesterday afternoon around 2pm...we just cannot believe how HOT it is over here!! It's so humind it's almost unbearable!

I insisted we take ask a guy on his bike to bring our luggage from the ferry to PA but hubby insisted he could pull both his and mine!

I think he regretted it the moment we came off the ferry, we didnt realize there would be SO MANY locals on vacation for the next 2 months!

It's crazy the crowd on the street compared to out last trip in February!!

Back then it felt like the island was to ourselves!

Not sure I would come back in July again but I can't really complain as we're so lucky to be here...

We had a bite last night at Qubano, we've been patiently waiting to have our first meal here in Vivianne new location, unfortunately she wasn't here but the food was as good as we remembered! My mouth watered as our waiter brought our hungarian potatoes!!

This morning we woke up early to go pick up some Conchinita Pibil but to my disappointment...they weren't there!!!! I believe they were on vacation but we have next Sunday to get hopefully some!!!

It was way too hot to roam in the streets so we stayed by the refreshing ocean after picking up our daily coconuts from our friend on Medina, he keeps them cold in his cooler!! Aaaaahhh, refreshing in this 44 degrees celcius!

We had lunch at Poc-chuc...we didnt get to try it last time so I went for the Bean soup (i know!! Who has a sopa in 44 degrees????)

It was well worth it with the crispy tortilla and melted cheese! We each had their shrimp and fish tocas... One of the cheapest lunch we've had!

There are so many more street vendors on Medina this time so we tried some new fruit that has a green peel but the inside is orangy and sweet, they put lime and chilli on them and they are deelish!

We had 2 marquesitas as a snack and they were more expensive this time too... Hubby wanted to try the tamales but our digestive system isn't working fast enough!

We are looking to try Limon tonight but have no idea ehere it is so hubby's looking into it right now...

I noticed my appetite isn't the same this time...i am a bit disappointed...maybe it's because I have a little bun in the oven? :)

That's all for today folks, I'll try to drop by as soon as the Wi-fi allows me!

I'll be having a virgin Margaritas for all of you here!! :)

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Thanks for the report! I will be anxious to hear more. I thought Febuary was supposed to be the high season. That's very interesting that the island is so crowded. I often wondered what people were talking about January and February being high season and it really wasn't that busy when we were there. The only place I noticed a lot of people was on Playa Norte so we just stayed on Playa Sol.

Have a great trip and I hope your appetite returns! The little bun in the oven will probably appreciate the fresh fruit\juice you will be having too.

Montreal
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Playa Sol is crazy! So many Mexican families everywhere, you can't even walk! But we learn from their simplicity and their happiness! We watch them play in the sand and water for 8 straight hours and they never cease to have fun! They have THE life...

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

We visited last July and there were a lot of Mexican national folks vacationing on Isla. We enjoyed that a lot, actually. So different from the all inclusives.

Yes, it's HOT, and we also learned the hard way that lugging one's luggage from the ferry dock to Ixchel is not too fun this time of year. Ixchel looks sooooo close, but we actually had to stop at a little tienda and get some cold drinks.

Stay by the water as much as possible, and enjoy the rain when it comes. :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

First, congratulations on the little bun :) Second, I think the heat and humidity will sap the appetite right out of you; I can never eat much when it's that hot either. Thanks for checking in, love reading your report and hope to see more!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Paradisiaque, what would the temperature be with the humidex factored in? I only live an hour away from Montreal and it will be 32 degrees today but feel like 39 with the humidex. I can't imagine it being 12 degrees hotter and humid.

I really would like to visit Isla in the summer so I can swim with the whale sharks but don't know if I could handle the humidity.

ps make sure you drink lots of water, for yourself and your little bun.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Paradisique-

If our little bun and myself were in Isla I'd have no problem with an appetite! I am so jealous. How are you tolerating the heat? In Chicago it has been consistently in the 90's with full humidity and being pregnant has been rough! I wanted to squeeze a last minute Isla vacation in but we are going to wait just because of the weather.

Like others have said, stay hydrated! Have a ton of fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Congratulations! Stay cool ...

Montreal
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

THank you all for your kind wishes!

Bridget- it is hard for me to handle that heat, I never thought I would hear myself say this one day! I was born and raised on a Tropical Islanad and I can handle heat, I guess being pregnant makes it harder?

We were at Catalonia last year in July and I was just fine, hubby said the temperature was similar last year.

I also have nausea on and off when I get hungry so nothing sounds appetizing to me...

Ihatewinter- it hot, but when you're by the water, you dip regularly and you should be fine but we were definitely more comfortable back in February!

Also, staying at PA, had I known it would've been that hot, I would've gotton the all inclusive on Expedia it was 12$ more per person!

You need thouse cold drinks coming...for now, we're going to the bodega to get the drinks and keeping them cold in the fridge, definitely bring a soft cooler on the beach! The drinks get hot in minutes!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Sounds silly but periodically rub an ice cube over your pulse points: wrists, neck, etc. Really works to cool you off.

Montreal
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It's been 24 hours already!

Thanks TNY! I'll try that tomorrow! :)