We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

So, first off, I hope Ernesto blows off into the ocean and leaves everyone in Mexico and elsewhere unmolested and safe.

2nd off, assuming all is well there, we (three couples w/ a daughter each) are going to be on Isla for about 10 days starting 8/11 and we are as far south on the island as you can get I think. We are the tippy tip in a very nice house but sort of secluded. For day trips, grocery's roaming and etc. like taking the three young (5,6 &7 yrs old) kids with us up to Playa Norte I am curious about the option of renting a car (or cars) and ferrying it over. Mainly because I can rent a car for starting at about 11-12 dollars a day then Ferry it over for 220 pesos and use that, instead of trying to beat down anymore golf cart guys. The cheapest I can arrange online for that is 38 bucks a day. Thats with all three couples renting a cart! Seems pretty high, I know its an island and all and they sort of have you captured and I'd rather have a golf cart frankly, but not at that rate. I have driven in Mexico plenty of times so that doesnt deter me. I imagine we'd stay all but one day on Isla if we did have cars (one day to mainland for Tulum or Coba and cenotes) and Isla is probably pretty tranquil vs Baja and Central Mexico and Yucatan where I've driven before. And my auto insurance covers rentals so no added $ there.

What am I not taking into consideration? Renting two or three bicycles would be nice, but then I am hearing 12 dollars a day (x 2 or 3) and there I am at triple the price of a car rental. Taxi's, now I am sort of limited to the whims and moods of random Mexican taxi drivers who I generaly love, but a cheat or a bad one can ruin an hour of my vacation.

Thanks kindly in advance, M.

Edited: 04 August 2012, 00:09
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

Personally, I wouldn't rent a car - the biggest problem on the north end is parking . . . hard enough to find one for a golf cart, let alone a car. I do understand the frustration of car rental prices compared to golf carts though . . .

As far as bikes go, I do know people that buy them cheaply in Cancun, and then sell or give them away when they leave - that is a thought rather than paying for a rental. Donate them and maybe have a tax right off?

Taxis are cheap & plentiful on Isla - and generally, a bunch of great guys. Just my thoughts for today - good luck with the rest of your planning! :)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

I understand wanting to save money - I am the same way! I think it would be a nIghtmare trying to

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

I understand wanting to save money - I am the same way! I think it would be a nIghtmare trying to park the car anytime you are in el centro. I would recommend renting a cart for a few days for cruising around and then taxis the rest of the time. Find one you like and then get his number. No worries about parking and you can get let off right where you want to be. I have met some great taxistas, only a few duds. Just familiarize yourself with the rates and then you'll know what's fair.

Edited: 04 August 2012, 02:45
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

Thanks all, I appreciate the comments. @Coalminer, I was already thinking about buying a bike in Walmart in Cancun and bringing it over strangely enough.

I will just get boots on ground first an then make an assessment, a rental would be a hassle in Centro I am sure.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

I think you will find your car rental is about double what you have stated here. You have to remember the insurance. No way I would have a car on Isla. Just too much hassle.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

My USAA insurance covers the rental insurance, per my agent, so no added fee there. But I hear you about the hassle, I want relaxation in toto. My concern is being in the very last house on the south end of the island and being trapped there or too secluded.

May be a taxi and bicycle kind of trip. And that's awesome too.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

I always thought Mexico cannot recognize foreign insurance companies except a few that also do business there. Yours maybe one of them but I'd definitely check into it to make sure. Reading up on it, this what I found. If it isn't correct, great, but do check it out to be

My U.S. insurance company covers me in Mexico. Do I still need Mexican insurance?

Yes. Your U.S. insurance company may be able to cover only the damages or theft to your vehicle within a small mileage range into Mexico. They cannot pay damages you legally owe to others in case you are at fault in an accident (liability coverage). If your U.S. insurance company tells you your vehicle damage or theft is covered in Mexico, be sure to get this in writing from your agent or the company to avoid misunderstandings. If they tell you there is liability coverage in Mexico, be wary because this may be misleading. Mexican authorities cannot recognize U.S./Canadian policies which means you do not have coverage according to their legal system.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

I agree that USA insurance does NOT(in my experience) cover you if you have an accident in Mexico because their law is based on the Napoleanic code where YOU are GUILTY until proven innocent . The Mexican insurance acts as your bond or in other words a "get out of jail card" . As far as I understand it IF you do not have this Mexican insurance then you will be IN jail until money is provided.

I have not heard of a USA company that provides that type of insurance so please check carefully. IF you have driven in Mexico without this you have been VERY lucky!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

This is directly copied from USAA website's FAQ regarding coverage in Mexico:

The Mexican government requires that tourists get auto liability insurance from a Mexico-based insurance company. Although your USAA auto policy may provide limited coverage for any loss or damage that occurs within a certain distance from the U.S.-Mexico border (check your policy for details), it doesn't provide the insurance legally required for travel in Mexico.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 13:56
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Vs Golf Cart Rental

I agree on the insurance. If you hurt someone you must pay their medical bills and lost wages and anything else they deem necessary and they can put you in jail until it is paid. Even if your US company will cover you they won't just hand over money. It is a process. Would not rent a car in Mexico without the Mexican insurance. We have rented several times on the mainland and every year at Coz. always with the insurance.