We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bikes with more than three speeds?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bikes with more than three speeds?

Any bikes on the island that are available for rent and can be used for exercise? Husband says "more than 3 speeds." He rides a road bike regularly. I think this has been asked before, but I'm kind of in a hurry. Sorry! Thanks in advance.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

Not trying to be funny, but I can't picture biking anywhere on Isla that would require that many speeds . . .

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

I agree. Adopt the laid back vibe and relax. Less than 95 days for me. Ahhhhhhh Isla.

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

ha ha. I know. No offense at all. But I think he would like to burn off the food we will eat! And he just loves it. You know, it's not a chore for him.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

I do walk every day when I am on Isla . . . a morning exercise walk as well as walking every where we go, but btw traffic and all that, I just can't picture even using 2 speeds . . . that's all. Maybe a stairmaster somewhere? Rowing?? :)

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

Nope, I get it completely. Personally, I plan on renting a SUP board. We tried it here in Colorado, and I'm looking forward to it on Isla. Wish it was more cost effective.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

Years ago, we used to see a lot of bike rentals. Almost all of them have evaporated over the years, mainly because the vast majority of them were not in good condition (not safe) and people greatly prefer golf carts.

Like your hubs, I am an avid road biker, and it sounds cool to be able to ride fast on Isla, but with all the carts and scooters zipping around (and driven by not so safe drivers), I would never consider it (although with the speed governors at around 10MPH on he golf carts, it would be MUCH faster getting from Playa Norte to Punta Sur on a road bike - but you may not make it in one piece!)

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

Thanks for the input. I told him he was loco. ha. Having been to Isla a few times, it's not as if he doesn't know what he'd be getting himself into, but time away from the island may have altered his recollection a bit?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

We used to ride bikes all the time on Isla, and there are still bike rental shops on the island. I think the one catty-cornered from Manana is still open? Friends rented bikes just last year from a shop on Medina with no problem and used them to tour the south end of the island. They were mountain bikes with lots of gears. There are several steep hills out by Garrafon and Punta Sur that require gears. You have to be very defensive and aware that cars frequently ignore stop signs. Yes, the island streets are more crowded and yes, most of the rental bikes aren't in great condition because of corrosion from salt air, but I have acquaintances on the island who use bikes for exercise. Just check out the rental bike thoroughly before leaving the shop.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

Forgot to say it's a great way to see the island. You see a lot more sights when you're walking or biking than you do if you're speeding by in a cart or taxi.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bikes with more than three speeds?

if the goal is to burn off food then he only needs a rusty old one gear, its all about resistance.