We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Hi,

I'm staying at EPM for the first time, but wanted to take a trip out to Isla Mujeres; for anyone who has been here can you recommend what would be cool to do there and not miss out on?

1. Can we take a ferry from EPM to Isla Mujeres? If so, how much and how long is the ferry ride?

a. What is the earliest and latest times that the ferry runs?

2. I've been looking at the underwater museum that looks really cool; are there snorkel/scuba tours to take us out here?

a. I'm PADI scuba certified but my soon to be wife is not; would she be able to snorkel while I scuba at the underwater museum?

b. I've been thinking of bringing my own snorkel/goggles with me because I feel like the equipment the tours give you are cheap. Is this the case with the snorkel tours out there or do they provide good snorkeling equipment?

3. I thought I read that we can rent golf carts on the island; is this true? If so, how much does it cost for the cart rental?

4. Any other cools things we should check out on Isla Mujeres?

Thank you!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

read the top questions and things to do link

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Take the Ultramar ferry - first one leaves at 5:30am, last one around 11-11:30pm. They run every 30 minutes until 8pm then hourly, time to Isla is 20 minutes, cost is 140 pesos pp round trip.

Golf cart rental should be about 450-500 pesos for 9 to 5 rental.

Never been to MUSA, lots of boats to take you there. Personally I would rather tour the island via my golf cart stopping off along the way for eats and a drink or two, then turn it in and spend time on North Beach, staying for sunset, drinks and dinner.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,975 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

There is a specific Day Trips Top Question in the upper right hand corner with lots of suggestions as well as trip reports by day-trippers. There is also golf cart info, scuba and snorkel info, including visitin MUSA. Be sure to check them out :)

Renting vs bringing your own gear... that's a divided topic. Some would say your own is best but if you want to rent, that's available too.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

I'm staying at the Excellence Resorts in Playa Mujeres and they hand out a schedule that says the ferry to Isla Mujeres will only leave out on Wednesday.

Does the ferry only run 1 a week or is this just something that the resort provides?

I'm guessing we can still go on our own any day by taking a cab to the terminal?

Ty!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Ultramar out of gran puerto leaves everyday from about 6a to midnight.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,494 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Just take a taxi to the Ultramar ferry - runs 7 days a week, from early morning until late at night. Try to stay as long as you can on the island. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Ok, great...Ty!

I know you can rent golf carts there but is this an island similar to Catalina island off of California where only golf carts are allowed to be driven? Or are there normal cars / traffic on the island too?

Ty!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,494 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Not like Catalina - there are normal cars, trucks, delivery vans, scooters, bikes, taxis and golf carts all sharing the road. :)

Oh - and get a map now from the mapchick - www.cancunmap.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Oh ok, I thought it would be more of a relaxing drive just dealing w othe golf carts like Catelina but I guess I have to pay attention when driving out there...lol.

Thanks for the map URL link; I'll definitely buy the isla mujeres map.

Any recommendations on places to visit while out there?

I was really interested in checking ou that underwater museum they say is by Isla Mujeres but my wife doesn't scuba dive. Unless, there is a specific scuba tour I can do from Excellence that will take me back to Isla to check out the museum.

Ty.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Things to do?

Oh ok, I thought it would be more of a relaxing drive just dealing w othe golf carts like Catelina but I guess I have to pay attention when driving out there...lol.

Thanks for the map URL link; I'll definitely buy the isla mujeres map.

Any recommendations on places to visit while out there?

I was really interested in checking ou that underwater museum they say is by Isla Mujeres but my wife doesn't scuba dive. Unless, there is a specific scuba tour I can do from Excellence that will take me back to Isla to check out the museum.

Ty.