We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

I was wondering as to how long it will take to get off the Airplane in Cancun, get to the ferry (USA transfer), cross the water, and check into our villa (mid island)

I need to plan on our first night of dinner and drinks. Our plane lands at 1:00 pm and I hope to be settled in and watching the sunset with a cold beer the first day.

Is this realistic?

TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

Oh, absolutely! You'll have no trouble at ALL. It usually takes us roughly 2 hours from touchdown in CUN to "landing" on the pier in Isla.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

That depends upon your arrival date (hence sunset time), how long it takes to get through customs/immigration, your transportation to the ferry, how long you have to wait at the ferry, check-in at the hotel, etc.

Suggestion: You get there when you get there. Do not establish goals that may cause you to stress.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

Even if the airport is crowded you should have no problem watching the sunset while having a drink :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

I am with Co_Pilot on this one. The arrival at 1:00PM on a Tuesday is quite different from a Saturday or Sunday. If there is a lot of other arrivals at the same time you could spend two hours going through Mexican Immigration and Customs. Mexican Customs will ask you to punch a button, if the light is green you go through if it's red they will go through every piece of luggage you have. The second major factor is where are you going to take the ferry from? There are three departure/arrival points within the Cancun area with diffrent time of departures check this website:

www.granpuerto.com.mx

print all the schedules and tell your driver wich one you want. Crossing time is about 25 minutes and departure is pretty much on time.

TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

Assuming the sun sets around 7 pm in September (although we aren't sure when the OP is arriving), there's no way it will take 6 hours to go through customs, grab a shuttle to the ferry, board the ferry, grab a taxi on Isla, check into the hotel, taxi to your dinner destination and be ready for the event, cold drink in hand. I'm with Traveler on this one.

;-)

Edited: 05 September 2012, 19:34
TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

Here's a link that may be useful ...

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

I don't imagine anyone from the airport is going to the hotel zone for a ferry. Most likely it is from Gran Puerto in Puerto Juarez, which is about 30 minutes from airport. I've been there during Easter break with crazy long lines for both immigration and customs and I still made it out of the airport in about 2 hours. So I really really doubt they'll miss sunset :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

We'll be arriving on a Saturday in February, traveling first class so our bags will be waiting for us when we get off the plane. We don't have to wait by the bagage carousel.

I was more concerned about the travel time from the airport to Gran Puerto and then to the island

Thanks all for the helpful info

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

We landed at 11:15 last Saturday and we were seated at Barlito by 1:30. Sunset right now is about 7 PM. Ample time.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
111 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long from Airport to Isla/ first sunset

You should have no problem! We landed at 9:00am and were swimming at the hotel by 10:45am! I think you will have plenty to time to relax and enjoy that sunset!