We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DL needed for golf cart

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
DL needed for golf cart

Is a drivers license needed for golf cart rental? She has an ID from her state.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,324 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DL needed for golf cart

Though a couple of people posted that they did not need one (I think rented through hotel) I've never ever rented without them asking for one.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DL needed for golf cart

When they have the occasional road block they do ask for your license. Since you are driving on roads with car traffic, everyone driving a moving vehicle (scooter, golf cart or car) is supposed to be a licensed driver. Which is why it is not legal or a very good idea to have minors driving.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DL needed for golf cart

If you've given your licence to the golf cart rental company, then what do they expect you to produce if you're pulled over?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DL needed for golf cart

Why would you give them your license? I would not.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,324 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DL needed for golf cart

I suppose you can give them a Xerox copy. We don't bother, just give them our license and have done so for years. We always rent through the same company and never had a problem leaving our license with them.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
470 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DL needed for golf cart

both times i rented golf carts last year i had to give them my licensess. i used a place located the the north end of Hidalgo.

Southern California
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DL needed for golf cart

We had to give my wife's DL to rent from Ciro's. We told them we were leaving later in the evening. They said no problem, someone will be here. When we went back they were closed and no one was there. Now she has to get a new license.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DL needed for golf cart

Hmmmm......Sure wish I knew the answer. I know they take the license and she rented a scooter with an ID 10 years ago. Kind of important as it makes or breaks the trip

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DL needed for golf cart

I think someone, if not everyone, will rent you a golf cart with the state issued id.

I don't remember the situation, but one time I left my hotel key, that was many years ago. They just want to make sure you come back with the cart.

Houston
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DL needed for golf cart

You don't need to give them your license when renting. Just give them some sort of official looking ID and you should be good to go. I rented with an expired military ID and never had a problem.