We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in isla mu or cozumel

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
idaho
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
one day in isla mu or cozumel

my wife and i will be staying in PDC and will be headed over to either Cozumel or PDC for one day. our plan is to either rent a jeep in cozumel or a golf cart in isla (we have done that day before and LOVED it)

so, for those that have doen both ISLA MUJ and Coz...what is a better day trip...coz or isla

we will just be taking a ferry over, renting a transportation and poking around on our own, eating at a local place for lunch, trying to find some cool beaches...etc etc.

we don't enjoy the typical touristy stuff..thank you for you help

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,860 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

Done both

Each different

If just for a day

Would choose Isla

Better beaches, smaller town and island to get around

Driving is much more relaxed on Isla

It gets crazy driving on Coz

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
162 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

We've been to both as well, and would also choose Isla.

It's easy walking in the town, with many great shops and restaurants to choose from, and the beach is right there. I think you could enjoy more in one day on Isla than you could in Cozumel. Both are just beautiful though. I don't want to take anything away from Cozumel, I just think you need more than a day to explore Cozumel to get a real taste of the island.

Have fun exploring!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

Done both, too. It depends on what you like. On Coz there is a lot of driving without seeing anything. It will take you most of the day if you stop and see some of the sites. And driving in town is nuts! There will be a lot of cruise ship people on Coz and the ferry ride is longer and can be rougher.many more gem/jewelry shops on Coz.

To get to Isla you must get transportation to Puerto Juarez. This will be about an hour. I would suggest the bus. On Isla there is something to look at all the time and things are not so far apart. You can spend more time at the things you want to look at or visit. The beaches on Isla are more easily accessible.

There are great local restaurants both places.

We really like both, but for different reasons. If I had one day, I would pick Isla.

Edited: 12 January 2013, 20:20
idaho
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

thanks all...that is what i was thinking but wanted to confirm

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

I agree with the other responses; I love both islands but for different reasons. Cozumel has world class diving, is much larger (28 miles long as opposed to 5) and more developed. It would also be quicker and easier for you to get to--just take the ferry over.

But for your purposes, you'd be able to see more of Isla. Once you get off the ferry, you could literally walk to Playa Norte, one of the prettiest beaches you'll ever see. The nice beaches on Coz are quite a drive. The entire downtown area on Isla is only 4 x 6 blocks, and to see the rest of the island you can rent a golf cart. You're right--it's a blast cruising around in a cart.

Check out the Top Questions for Day Trip itineraries and compare them to the equivalent on Coz. Decide based on which activities appeal to you.

Reaching Isla from PDC involves taking the ADO bus (really nice buses, very inexpensive) from the station across from the PDC ferry to the downtown Cancun ADO station (about an hour), then a short, $5 cab ride to the ferry at Gran Puerto. The ferry to Isla is 140 pesos round trip and takes about 20 minutes each way.

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

When starting from PDC Cozumel is just a ferry ride away ,but its not cheap.when you add 2 round trip ferry, jeep rental and insurance, lunch and a few drinks, your probably $150. The shopping area is where at least 10 cruise ships with about 2000 passengers each will be docked. Island Mujeres is much less crowded and you can walk to the shopping area and beautiful beaches, but it can take you 2 hours each way from PDC. Why not spend a night or two on IM where you can enjoy all it has to offer.

waskesiu lake
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

have done both and would go with I.M. rented a scooter on cozumel and did the outside road loop and had a good day but it was also our first time there and everything was new to us.,happened to have a rough ferry ride across and a lot of cruisers shopping. both took a bit of a toll on the experience. Isla is easier to get around and you will see more if you want to explore a bit. glad i did cozumel just to say i have been there but wont be arm wrestling any one to go back any time soon, isla is now my favorite spot

idaho
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

Thx everyone. What should I expect to pay a cab to take me to the ferry doc? $50?

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
447 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

Trust a fellow Idahoan, you want Isla.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day in isla mu or cozumel

A cab would charge much more than $50 to take you to the ferry--see my transportation suggestions above.