We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with arranging my trip .

cozumel
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
help with arranging my trip .

Well this might a rambling mess but I'll attempt to ask these questions in a clear manner . several questions but hey thats whats this board is for , right ?

our trip is feb10-17th ... on the 17th we fly OUT at 9;15 am . I know we can catch a early 6am'ish ferry to get to the airport by 7 but I was thinking of staying the last day in Akumal since my wife is a turtle loving freak .

1st question is about the turtles .. they are present in Akumal in Feb .. correct ? If not , I wont have to decide about travel arrangements .

2 ) Think I would be better off to ferry over the mainland and stay in Akumal the 16th , and either get a car rental that am , which is dirt cheap and could drop off the am of our departure . Or maybe just use a collectevo ?

3) or should i just day trip it during the week and dont worry about staying on the mainland the last night ? Thanks MD

cozumel
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help with arranging my trip .

and my computer here at work keeps auto signing me in as " 081412u " my " normal" username is ManitouDan .... somehow , dont know how , I ended up with this new username which I ask TA to fix , but evidently it isnt' . I'll sign out and sign in as my normal username . MD

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with arranging my trip .

see ??? I never ever created a second account . Dont know how it happened

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with arranging my trip .

Dan, i don't think getting to the airport by 7 for a 9:15 flight is enough time... last year (even off season) we weren't out of the AA line in two hours... although i know not everyone on here agrees with me... we look to be at the airport in Cancun 3 hours before flight time...

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with arranging my trip .

I'd leave the island early on the 16th...rent a car, taxi, use private transport like USA or whoever, take the bus etc. and spend a night in Akumal - if you go to the Akumal forum...check the right hand side...VancouverSunDog has posted a great plan from renting a golf cart for a few hours to tour around and check out Yal-Ku Lagoon, have lunch, swim with turtles etc. For me personally, a day trip would be a total headache..I haven't been able to leave the island once I'm on it until it's time to go home lol.

:-)

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: help with arranging my trip .

I've been to Akumal to snorkel with the turtles 3 different times in February. Never had a problem finding any, along with a very large (about 4ft) barracuda and a couple of rays!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with arranging my trip .

I think that barracuda is named Barry - he's famous and even though he's no threat - it was enough to get my heart pumping!

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with arranging my trip .

its a long way from isla to akumal and you pretty much have to be at the airport by 6:30 or quarter to 7...

have you been to the turtle ranch on isla? may be a better deal - lots of turtles,different varieties and a hatchery (they release in september)

once you get there you won't really think about leaving and do you really wanna spend that much time driving?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with arranging my trip .

So how long does it take to drive from gran puerto to Akuma? l .. I was thinking an hour ? but it does take addt' 30-45 min to rent a car I'd guess .... then you have to worry about returning the rental before 6am the next day . Due to the early flight it going to be a hassle either way . If I stay in IM its going to be a 5 or 530 ferry , If I chose to do the last day in akumal I've got adjust my hotel stay in IM and find a place to stay for 1 night on the mainland . . decisions decisions . MD

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with arranging my trip .

There is no 5am ferry and in our experience the 5:30 ferry was more like 6am. I have no idea how long the trip is from Akumal to the airport but I would personally forget that trip and stay in Cancun my last night. And.....could you return a car before 6am? I would think that might be a problem.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with arranging my trip .

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding it correctly but you're planning to drive to the airport for your 9:15 flight on the 17th from Akumal? The drive is about an hour and 15 - 20 minutes (at least it was for us) so you would have to leave Akumal around 5 in the morning. I don't think I would up for that, lol. As for the collectivo, that will take much longer and most likely won't take you with luggage. Returning rental cars will also add time to this. I think Akumal should be an other trip some other time :)