We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

I've rented from Ciro's last year and I got a speedy green jeep wrangler looking cart that was in a great shape. However, this year I got a long (both rows facing forward) red jeep looking cart that was pretty much falling apart. First of all, the parking break did not work and I had to use a stone every time I parked. The cart had a strong pull to one side, thus I always had to compensate. The engine hesitated for some time prior to getting started even with full gas. Basically, it was an old, tired ride.

If you are renting from them, I suggest you test drive the cart you are getting prior to accepting it.

oakhurst, ca
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you ask them to exchange the cart for another? I have found them very easy to work with and have always gotten carts in outstanding condition. They even give us a new cart when my wife wanted a '' prettier '' help color

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

I agree with the poster above. We've rented from there for years and the very few times we had any issues they promptly changed carts. As soon as you found that the breaks on your cart did not work (and the other problems) you should have returned it for another.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

Your experience is so unfortunate Ciro's normally has the most well maintained carts & the fastest ones on the Island. It might not be age but use. I have seen lots of carts being misused down here. People hitting curbs, going over speed bumps way too fast, It is tough on the carts. Test driving it first is a good idea!

Edited: 23 January 2013, 12:09
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

I got a cart from Ciro's in September that wasn't up to the quality standards I had come to expect from them, but we had it for a short time and we decided we would just muddle through. I'm sure that had I taken it back they would have given me another cart.

Ours was also a larger cart with both seats facing forward and the cargo area in back--it was pink and was #13. Our main issue was that it was very sluggish--coming up the hill at Captain Dulce's all my passengers got out and walked because we didn't think the cart would make it up the hill with all 4 of us aboard.

You may occasionally get a cart that isn't brand new but overall I still feel they're the best bet for a good cart.

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

So let me get this straight, on an island that is all of 2.5 miles long, you encountered these issues, didn't return the cart, and then posted on Tripadvisor???

Brilliant! It takes about the same amount of time to post as it would to return it.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
342 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

I'm not happy with Ciros either, walked there earlier in day yesterday to enquire about getting a cart later in the afternoon for 24 hours, I asked if I needed to reserve one & she said no just show up. We did & she said, sorry, no carts with lights. What good is tthat for a 24 hour rental. She said to come back tomorrow which we won't be.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

Ohhhhh goodness...

After hearing about these larger Jeep Carts with both seats facing forward, I was ready to pay BIG bucks thru Jimbo to rent one of these. This is what we really, really, wanted. (and never could get a confirmation that they would try to get us one of these particular carts)

Now it sounds like maybe there is an issue with these particular carts, and they just aren't holding up like they should.

We plan on renting on a Sunday that could be fairly busy with weekly, weekend, and Sunday rentals. The last thing I want to have to deal with is not finding a large golf cart that will run.

I am going to keep lurking here on TA hoping to hear more. Luckily we hesitated, and have not forwarded payment for the rental.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 16:48
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

Girlieduke, to the best of my knowledgte CIro's does not take reservations. I know I asked the owner when I was there last spring. You just have to take your chances.

Their customer service is excellent in my experience. i would not hesitate to recommend them

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

no doubt, if you ask Ciros to get your golf cart switched to another one, they would take care of it ASAP. in my experience, they are very responsive to folks that have any problem. all the rental agencies struggle to keep their carts in tip top shape in a tough, salty environment, and i think they all do a good job and will always take care of any problem they know about. if they are unaware, then they are unable to help...just ask and you will be surprised at how hard they will work to help you out.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not very happy with the Ciro's golf cart rental

The Jeep carts are not the larger style cart. What we are referring to are the large carts that have both seats facing forward and have an open platform in back to put luggage, scuba gear, etc. This style of cart is NOT the Jeep cart. Here's my Dad sitting in cart #13 that I referred to above:

…photobucket.com/albums/j395/DMartin216/Isla…