We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

Illinois
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

Hubby and I are now coming 2 days earlier! Arriving Feb. 11! So, so excited, but question to you all -- would you just come straight to Isla or check out somewhere close (where?) for the two days? Hubby mentioned Isla Holbox, but that seems like a far drive for just 2 days.

Logistics and background: Don't have a place to stay yet, that could be a problem on Isla as only renting for 2 days, most require 3 minimum. This is only the 2nd time in 23 years that hubby and I will be alone on a vacation and our first/last trip was a combo Riviera Maya/Isla Mujeres. Also, on this trip we are already moving 4x's staying at three places on Isla (Casa Sirena, Lolo's & Marina Paraiso) Last time we stayed at Villa Rollandi, and never spent much time there or at North Beach, which might be fun. Phew! So, what would you do?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

Holbox is too remote to go for only two days. You might want to consider Puerto Morelos, which is also a sleepy little beach town just south of Cancun (and only minutes from the airport). You could also check out Playa del Carmen, which has grown considerably in size and offers more nightlife and activities than many of the other towns in the area, if you're looking for that kind of thing. With only 2 days I don't think I'd be looking any farther south than PDC.

In addition to these towns, there are activities on the mainland such as cenotes, ruins, nature theme parks, etc. You could use your mainland location as a base for these.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
77 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

Playa Del Carmen!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

I would come straight to Isla and see if the first place where you're staying has room for the 2 days prior to your regular stay.

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

I'm with TNY ~ Go straight to Isla!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

If you decide on puerto Morelos - you must try jungle spa - best massage ever - out in the jungle, wrapped in fresh aloe and banana leaves - bliss!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
670 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

I'm with TNY. You've stated you'll already be moving from one accomodation to another a couple of times during your visit; for me, that's a fair amount of disruption already. I'd see if your first accomodation can take you a couple nights earrly. I don't know how long your vacation will be, but unless you have a very strong desire to see PDC or something else, I'd suggest spending your entire time on the island. For most of us, our time there is never long enough.

Illinois
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

I checked with the first place already (Casa Sirena) no luck. : ( I really am anxious to get to Isla, but heard some TAers talking about trips that are easy from Cancun.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

My vote:

Straight to Isla.

no question about it.

canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

We are going to Valladoilid for a short trip to check out Ek Balam and some cenotes. Couple hours by bus from Cancun

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ya-Hoo! What would you do?

Puerto Morelos!!!! Snorkel!! Plus less people and NO golf carts. I loved it there. My manfriend, not as much as I did. You can walk everywhere and take colectivos to La Colonia for 5 pesos. I could ALMOST give up Isla for PM. I will compromise with a split trip to Isla and to PM though. The colectivo to Playa del Carmen is only 20 pesos so if you get bored, you can always check it out too.

Now, I better quit posting before anyone notices that I haven't finished my trip reports or posted photos yet. Hopefully this weekend.

The snorkeling in PM is great though. We saw turtles there too.