We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

Big group going to PA in a few weeks. Is it worth wondering around Isla Mujeres or even going to the main part of Cancun? We don't drink, but we do like to go clubbing and eat in foodie places. So to be specific:

1) Where should we go to a club at night that is near PA?

2) Where should we eat out one night in IM or Cancun that is "to-die" for food (could also be a hole in the wall)?

Any help for us first timers would be great. Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

Yes, it is very worth it to eat in town and around the island. You will be missing a lot if you don't leave the resort. Many of the restaurants with a few blocks from PA. As for the best ones, there are a lot of threads on restaurants and info in the "Top Questions" on the right of this page. I could list every restaurant but it would take a while.

I wouldn't bother going in to Cancun unless you wanted to do luxury shopping or easy at a high end restaurant. For luxury shopping, Cancun doesn't offer anything that you can't find in Boston.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 15:34
White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

When are you arriving on Isla, palermoseeker?

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

We'll be there in about 2 weeks...Feb 7

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

Isla is not known for its high-octane nightlife so depending on what you mean by "clubbing" you may better off in Cancun. The problem with that, however, is that clubs don't get started until very late and unless you're planning on staying out all night, you won't get a ferry back as they stop running around midnight. Just about the time clubs are beginning to wam up.

If you are happy with a more low-key nighlife, Isla does have places with live music: Fayne's, Fenix, La Terazza, and then there are the nightly beach parties at the Poc Na hostel that get started pretty late also.

"to-die-for" food is very subjective; something I may consider fabulous you may hate and vice versa, and in general, while the food is very good on Isla, I really wouldn't characterize most places as serving to-die-for food (though I'm sure I'll get flack for this, lol). However, many places are known for certain things they make very well, so you may give them a try. The black bean soup at La Lomita (or so people say; never had it); the olive chicken, Moroccan fish, or shishlik at Olivia; the vitello tonnato or fish carpaccio at Rolandi on Hidalgo; the wood oven roasted fish at Villa Rolandi; the tikinxic at Brisas Grill; and so on.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

And the fish tacos at Bally Hoo...

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

This is great info. Any good karaoke on the island? Does that mean there aren't any dance clubs (e.g. in hotels) on the Island? We're not crazy partiers but a club would be fun for 1 night.

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

I did read about these places: La Luna looks esp good. Still valid list?

Bar Om on Matamoros. Chill little place with live music. (good sushi too)

Fayne's on Hidalgo. Music and dancing (food too)

Adelita tequila bar on Hidalgo. Huge selection of tequilas; great mixed drinks, enjoy the music from next door at Fayne's.

Bamboo. Restaurant with live music. Cool bar area if you don't want to eat.

Miguel's Moonlight. Great restaurant but also a popular late night hangout.

La Luna- new nightclub across from Roca Mar hotel on Guerrero.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

You are arriving at a fun time. The Island Time Fishing Tournament will be going on. If you like country music there are several opportunities for you to listen to some well known singers & songwriters from Nashville. Check out their website to see the schedule

www.islandtimefishingfestival.com

Carnival starts on the 8th, there will be dancing in the streets, parades & presentations. Check the schedule at

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=404721109614262&set=pb.330571143695926.-2207520000.1359424109&type=3&theater

Your bar list is a bit outdated. La Luna, Om & Bamboo are all closed. For music & dancing, I would recommend La Terraza, Fenix, Poc Na Hostel & Faynes.

My must dining experiences would be Olivia & Los Fueguitos.

Enjoy your time on the Island.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

Yes, if you read through that list in the Top Questions we did say that some of the places have since closed, such as OM and La Luna. Faynes, Adelita, Miguel's, still open, and as I said above in post 4, Fenix, La Terazza and Poc Na beach parties are other options.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in IM, staying at PA (Priviliges)

first time at privilege dont miss cafe del mar with a live band right on the beach