We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Aware

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Be Aware

Got together with some friends last night. In that group of people were 2 couples staying over along the airport road(on the wild side). They got robbed the first night they were here. They had left the sliding door open for the fresh air and wave noise. The person/s entered through there and had to navigate some kind of divider, so they are pretty sure he/she had been in there before. They took an IPad and iphone from the bedside table. Also the woman's purse including cc, money and passport. The man's pants were laying on the floor(imagine that) and the money had been taken from the pockets. She received her replacement passport yesterday, thank goodness.

This is their second week here, so this must have happened the night of the 19th or 20th. They know it happened between 1:30am and 6:30am. Nothing was taken from the other couple who were sleeping upstairs.

I'm just passing this on so that everyone is reminded to take precautions. While this is Isla, things do happen and you must be prudent in protecting your property. Keep access at a minimum. Most places have bars available for windows and sliders so they can be open a little, but still be safe.

Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Aware

That is a bummer! We are staying there is 2 weeks and were so looking forward to throwing open the doors for the night! We are staying on the upper floor of our place. Perhaps the private terrace on the ocean side will be harder for someone to access.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,869 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Aware

It's unfortunate and I feel bad for them. This is why I have always been reluctant to rent a place without A/C, thinking I can just leave the windows open. Unless it's upstairs to which access is difficult (except by Spiderman), I would not feel comfortable sleeping with sliders, windows, or anything else open, no matter where it was: in the States or elsewhere.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Aware

Never leaves sliders open, at least not on the airport strip. there is a history of thefts in that area. Probably because the wave noise cancels out other noises. We have taken short wooden dowels with us which allow the slider to be open enough to let a little air in but it cannot be opened.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,225 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Aware

Thieves know that vacationers carry lots of cash, cameras, iPads and lots of other things they want. When my sister was vacationing in Hawaii, my niece (who was about 6 at the time) awoke in the middle of the night to find a stranger in their hotel room. They were at a large, modern hotel, staying on the 4th floor. The thief climbed from balcony to balcony until he found an unlocked room. So always use caution, no matter where you stay..

BTW, my niece's description helped the police capture this guy. Book 'em, Danno.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be Aware

I love sleeping with windows open, I would take something like Islaforme mentioned to put in the sliders, or not leave them open at all at night.

This is really a bummer, and I feel bad fro these people, if they haven't filed a police report, they should so at least their homeowners or travel insurance may cover their losses.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 16:59
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be Aware

Did she have to go to Merida for her passport?

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be Aware

Wyobean and also Dmartin,

Thanks for sharing this. Guess I always had a false sense of security when I stayed on upper floors. I know I have been lax about locking my slider thinking no one could climb that high but I certainly won't assume that anymore!

Edited: 31 January 2013, 17:06
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
368 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be Aware

So sorry that happened, but occupants should never leave a slider door, regular door, or windows open anywhere on Isla where thieves can gain access. That includes in town. It's just common sense. Some hotels and properties have rods in the slider tracks that allow you to safely leave the door open a bit. Personally, I'd only do that on higher floors with a security rod in the slider track. Yes, there are thefts all over the island when visitors don't lock up expensive electronics and leave doors and windows unlocked. I wouldn't leave sliding doors open at home.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be Aware

I've always left sliders open providing there are screens and the room is not on the ground floor. However there's always been a security guard. I never leave anything of value in my room during the day unless there is a safe.

Sorry to hear about the theft.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be Aware

One year our a/c was out and owner was waiting on a part to come in so we left our door open a bit for some air (no window, just a slider). I did not sleep one wink because I was so paranoid somebody would try to get in. And, I know so many people like to hear the waves crashing as a lullaby but I cannot sleep with all that noise. I need quiet and dark. Hubby slept that night and I napped alot the next day. I'm not a trusting person no matter where I stay.