We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A million questions...

Inver Grove...
14 posts
Save Topic
A million questions...

First off, thank you to all of the great contributors to this forum. So cool to check out trip reports, restaurant recommendations, everything. You guys are great!

This will be our first weeklong trip to Isla. 2 day trips in the past, one just last year. That one sealed the deal, we HAD to come and stay longer. Mentioned the trip idea to our neighbors, they had been 9 years ago!, loved it then, and will be joining us. We'll be there Sunday 2/24-3/3. WOOHOO, can't wait! (12 days)

1) Staying at Puerta Al Mar, condo, on Sac Bajo. Anyone been? How is the beach, more suitable for snorkeling? Swimmable? How about bringing an air mattress? Is there a current?

2)We're thinking about stopping at the Walmart on the way to the ferry to pick up some grocery type items. Is this a good idea or is the grocery store on Isla good enough? Selection/Price wise? We do want to do some breakfast and lunches at the condo.

3)Bally Hoo will definitely be our very first stop, before even the golf cart! Speaking of, can we fit 4 people and 4 pieces of luggage on a cart?

4)Our best time last year was at the Soggy Peso, met some great canadians, laughed the whole time! What time does the BBQ go 'til on Sunday?

Okay, well thats good for now, i look forward to hearing back! P.S. that was only 9 questions, more tomorrow. ;)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A million questions...

I can help with a few. I would buy your groceries on Isla - I think there is plenty of selection, the markets are more fun and I would rather support local Islenos than Walmart. Okay - I am biased. :)

I would take a taxi with all the luggage - that would be easier - I don't think you would all fit on a golf cart.

Got your mapchick map, right??

Have fun! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,415 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A million questions...

OK, I can help with a couple of your questions.

I wouldn't bother stopping at Wal-Mart. The transfer companies usually charge you $30 to cover the driver's time, and there is a Chedraui on Isla that has anything you would be buying at Wal-Mart.

You might be able to fit 4 pieces of luggage on one cart if you get one of the larger carts with the rear deck, like they have at Ciro's. You might want to bring some bungee cords to hold the luggage. Ciro's is one of the farthest rentadoras from the ferry, but we like these carts:

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,726 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A million questions...

Some of the larger, all forward facing carts have a big box in back for things but I doubt your luggage for four would fit in there. Cab is a better idea.

I agree that the grocery stores on Isla are more than enough to meet your needs, especially Chedraui.

I don't think the snorkeling is great there but swimming should be fine. There might be some sea grass so bring water shoes. Urchins have been known to hide in the sea grass and they don't feel good when you step on them :) We stayed at Villa Rolandi not far from your condo and there wasn't much of a current so floaties should be fine.

No idea about the BBQ but I would not get there much past 2 or 3. I hear they sell out pretty fast.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A million questions...

2) Chedraui on Isla will have everything you need

3) Probably not and even if you can, how will you secure it?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A million questions...

I stayed at Puerta Al Mar with my parents and some friends a few years ago. The condo was lovely--spacious and comfortable with a wonderful balcony. I brought my beach shoes but I still only went swimming there once or twice during our stay. Everyone preferred the pool. There was a lot of grass and no good snorkeling. We took our gear and snorked by the Avalon bridge a couple of times. Our novice snorkelers loved it there and I still found plenty to see (a very young moray eel, a pair of fireworms dancing and twining around each other, lots of small rays and squid). An air mattress is a great idea if it fits in the suitcase. Have fun!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A million questions...

Soggy Peso is open until 8pm. But they often run out of ribs during high season so I would head there for a late lunch to be safe.

Des Moines, Iowa
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A million questions...

We (4 of us) are also staying at the Puerta Al Mar condos...4/14 - 4/21. Not much available in the way of reviews from what I've found but we are all exicited. 2 day trips to Isla over the past 3 years and it is always the highlight of the week.

Here is a link someone posted that shows a few picture of the Chedraui store about mid-island.

Don't break the blender...we are going to need it in about 60 days.

Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A million questions...

Those condos are really nice. Been in a couple of them. Great pool right by the ocean. The beach isn't taken care of there so there may be sea grass.. It is still very swimable. We used to snorkel out by the dock in front of Tiburon. Also if you move a little toward the turtle farm there are some pieces of the old dock. Used to be lots of fish there. Most of the time there is very little current, but every once in a while the wind is just right and it can be pretty strong.

For the few groceries you are going to get I would go to Chedraui. Great store and most anything you would want food wise.

Also, you won't be all that far from the Super Express in LaGloria.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A million questions...

zama beach club is only a 2 minute walk from your condo....multiple pools and decent food if you want to grab a nearby meal and avoid cooking..

10. Re: A million questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor