We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jax

Independence, IA
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jax

What's going on at Jax. There have been some really negative reviews lately. I know about their problems in December but I was under the impression that they were up and running as usual now.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jax

They opened back up when we were there in January but I didn't go there, not my kind of place.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jax

I have noticed that as well. I wonder if some of the reviews are from when they first re-opened and didn't have all their staff back in place or the kitchen fully stocked? We stopped by for a bucket of beer the second day they re-opened and it was so busy with patrons trying to show their support, that the service was very slow (especially because they were short staffed). Had I been a first time guest, and without knowledge of the fact that they had been closed, I might have been inclined to have written a negative reivew.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jax

Jax has always been a solid Isla Mujeres citizen. It's not our cup of tea when we're on Isla (since we aren't really looking for 'America' when we are on a Mexican holiday.) But if it is what you're looking for, give them a try.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jax

I was in there right after they opened in the latter part of Jan. The server I had stunk up the place. Food was good, but the service was terrible. To long of a story to put on here, anyhow...

If some of the reviews are people ragging the service, it was prob warranted. I gave the guy a earful to say the least. He will not forget me for a long time! I will go back, but will make sure he's not my waiter. I guess they lost some of the "A" team to other restaurants while closed.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jax

We were there first of the month and the service was not that great but the food was still very good. They have had some problems, so give them a chance. Don't just go there because they are American. They employ a lot of people and contribute to the island too. Food was good and location is great.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jax

We went there over a year ago and had terrible service (not rude just neglectful) so poor service is not a new thing. We went twice (not by my choice) and it happened both times.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,890 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jax

I'm more concerned with the quality of the food than service. I don't really care if they take a long time to serve me or if they forget to ask me if I want another drink. Well, I don't want to sit there for hours while being ignored either, but you get the idea. So service to me is secondary. Jax is not my kind of place either but if I was interested in going there I'd pay closer attention to people's review of the food itself.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jax

I'm sure Jax took a little while to get back up to speed after being closed for two weeks. Usually the service and food is great. The location is second to none and their deluxe nachos con pollo is the best on the island (my opinion).

During normal times their food and service were very consistent so give them another try if you want some comfort food like a burger, nachos or fish tacos.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jax

They say right on their menu that it could be slow, don't try to hide it! :)

mapchick.com/wordpress/…jaxdisclaimer.jpg

We enjoyed our food and drinks there, maybe we were having fun enjoying our company and relaxing that we didn't notice slow service.

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jax

We were there the first week in February, we wanted to support them and their staff after all of their difficulties. I'm sorry to say that both the food and the service were awful. It wasn't the wait that was bad, just the poorly cooked food and the "who cares" attitude. Hopefully, things will improve again.