We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Isla, but would love some help....

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Not Isla, but would love some help....

It seems that the Akumal forum is mostly discussion about all-inclusives. We have decided to skip Isla for our planned April trip (no worries will be back to Isla in July) and instead head to Akumal. Would love any recommendations on must do things, restaurants, etc. I know Tulum is close so that's a likely thing on our itenary.

Any suggestions from all you Isla lovers that have also been to Akumal?

michigan
Level Contributor
820 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

You must have breakfast at Turtle Bay Bakery. La Buena Vida is a great little spot for lunch. (Playa.info forum should give u a lot of advice). Check out some cenotes. Gran Cenote is my favorite. Also check out Loco Gringo forum.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 00:57
Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

La buena vida is great, I agree.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Swim with the turtles in Akumal bay. Check out Tankah's cenote manatee.

ct
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Definitely lots of swimming with the turtles in Akumal Bay-lmk if you find a turtle swimming around with my diamond earring. I lost it while snorkeling down there one year ago...managed to catch the back, but dropped the actual diamond:( Valesquez is great and cheap for grilled/fried fish fillet-we ate there a lot. Turtle Bay Cafe is nice as well. BRING BUG SPRAY. We used it every evening! Will miss you on Isla.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Actually I have posted lots of great non resort threads for Akumal

Look at the Top Questions

Check my Restaurants outside your resort

1st Top question called Maps and research / bestplaces - trip to take

Snorkeling

Many more

Must have missed your PM (smile)

Edited: 20 February 2013, 02:15
Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Great info everyone. Thanks so much. ourarubafamily, will be on the lookout for the diamond. You owe us a cervesa on Isla if we find it! :)

Vancouner....heading over to look at Top Questions....possible PM tomorrow. Feel like a newbie which is kind of fun! :)

michigan
Level Contributor
820 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Definitely look at Loco Gringo, I remember finding a lot of great stuff there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Life's A Beach went to Akumal not long ago, check out her Previous Posts for photos. And try not to fall into a pothole!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,655 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

We stayed at Hotel Akumal Caribe for a week and loved it. Loved the beach there and the Lol Ha beach restaurant during the day, their bar, and the more "formal" Lol Ha restaurant for dinner. Some of the best food I've ever had, including the best fish tacos ever. Sorry Bally Hoo, but yes, it was that good ;)

Lots of turtles to see right off the beach at Lol Ha, and every day we would walk to Yal Ku just for the exercise. You can rent bikes or golf carts at HAK but IMO the carts would be a waste of money. You can walk the whole thing in 40 minutes.

Walk over to Akumal Pueblo for a completely different experience.

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not Isla, but would love some help....

Hola md-in-texas-

Good suggestions above- we loved La Buena Vida for the vibe. Another fun day trip for us ( we rent a car ) was to visit the ruins of Coba, then stopped at the Gran Cenote to cool off on the way back. Tulum has very pretty vistas, Coba is a great ruin and you can climb to the top of Nohoch Mul , the pyramid there...salud!