We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Big Mistake

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
568 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Big Big Mistake

We decided to spend 11 days on Isla and then come down here to Cozumel. This island blows! You can't do anything during the day because of the 50 thousand cruise people on the Island. At night half the shops are closed. We rented a car but you can't find any place to park it near town center without getting a boot on the tire or having it towed. We have been here 5 days and every meal has been average. We have been very spoiled by Isla Mujeres. We will never make this mistake again.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,764 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Big Mistake

Aww, I feel so bad for you :( Anyway you can get out of your hotel and go back to Isla?

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
450 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Big Mistake

I would turn in my keys, keycard and high-tail it back to Isla :) Good luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Big Mistake

Sorry Cozumel isn't working out for you. Have you eaten at Casa Mission or Kinta? We also like Casa Denis just off the main zocalo.

We're usually out diving during the day so we miss the cruise ship people. I would use this time do to things out of town, since they rarely venture too far from the docks. Then, venture back into town at night after they have left.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Big Mistake

Mark, try any 3 of the Mission restaurants...we love them all. We stay out of town during the day. Go to Punta Sur Park. We like it there, but the food is terrible and expensive. You aren't supposed to take in your own, but we do smuggle stuff in. You all may think that is terrible, but that just means you haven't eaten there. get there early...check your map to see what time they open...I think 9. A couple buses come from the cruise sips about 11:00. That is when we take a nice long walk down the beach. They only stay a couple hours. We eat back in the Colonias, so are rarely bothered by the cruise ship people for any meal. There are also a couple nice beach spots not far from Coconuts. Very seldom anyone there during the week.

We love Isla for a couple months, we like Coz for 2 weeks every year while DH gets his diving fix.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Big Mistake

There are parking lots on 5th I think it is. You have to pay but it's not very expensive. You can also park in the lot behind the mall.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Big Mistake

If I was in Cozumel, I think I would spend my days on the opposite side of the island where the beach clubs/bars are. That's what we did last time we were there 8 years ago, when we weren't at the beach at our hotel. The crowds around town and the cruise ships aren't our thing.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Big Mistake

I went there 14 years ago for a day trip. We rented a jeep and drove to the east side to check out the beach bars. It was nice but I think Isla is much more accessible and most can't deny that the beaches are better. I have looked at Secrets (was Aura). It seems similar to PA. I love the look of the resort but I don't like the beach. That's the main reason we haven't stayed on Coz - I can't find a nice hotel with a nice beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Big Mistake

" You aren't supposed to take in your own, but we do smuggle stuff in. You all may think that is terrible, but that just means you haven't eaten there."

LOL, wyobean!

I'll bet one of the beach spots you were thinking of near Coconuts is Chen Rio. The very nice beach was loaded with locals but no cruisers. Good seafood but expensive.

We absolutely love Cozumel, but mainly for the diving. We always say that we wish we could dive on Cozumel but surface to find ourselves on Isla.

Here's Chen Rio, BTW:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Cozakumisla515.jpg

Edited: 21 February 2013, 16:25
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Big Mistake

Hope your trip is getting better Mark...bummer

We were considering to split our trip this year & try COZ...not sure now :)

DM- you know both, so is it worth staying in coz for a dive or snorkeling? or can we get the same from going out in Isla? also considering going to CRT again in Xpuha. Can we get to the reefs from there?

many thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Big Mistake

Diving and snorkeling are not Isla's strong suits. The best diving in the entire region is by far on Cozumel, which is considered one of the Top 10 Dive Destinations in the world. Snorkeling is also good, but is best when you take a boat out to the reefs. You can get good (but not Cozumel level) diving and snorkeling along the Riviera Maya--much better than on Isla. Even a day trip to Puerto Morelos would get you better diving and snorkeling than on Isla.

So it all comes down to how important diving is to your trip. Starting with a few days on Coz to satisfy your diving jones could be the way to go if you really want world class diving. We were going to do that this coming September but realized we had the time on this trip to finally see Merida instead. If you'll settle for good diving but want the access to attractions and activities on the mainland, you could do a few days in PM or PDC, then come to Isla.