We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Place on Isla

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Place on Isla

All of the recent trip reports have got me thinking about Isla, (not that I need anthing to make me think about Isla) and how much I love being there. It is the place I go where all the stresses and worries of the day to day grind just fade away. Reading all the posts about place everyone has been or are planning to go, I began to think if I had to choose one place on the island that was my favorite spot, that one place that captured the essence of what Isla was to me. where would it be? My first thought was how could I choose just one? It is like asking someone to name their favorite child. However when I really thought about why I love Isla the choice was simple. For me Isla is this most beautiful, tranquil and relaxing place where sitting back sometimes and doing absolutely nothing is not only acceptable, but almost expected. The place on the island I would choose as my favorite spot is on Punta Sur west side cliff walk up above the limestone cave in the little black chair. Sitting there surrounded by the most beautiful setting I know, listening to the waves crashing and staring off into the crystal blue waters, Thats about as good as it gets. My question to all of you is where is your place? It could be anywhere, a certain restaurant, beach, balcony of your hotel at sunrise, quiet table in the far left corner of a dockside restaurant. Where is that place that captures the essence of what Isla is to you?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

This is a great question and fun to think about. My first thought was on top of the ferry because that is where I transition from the craziness of the travel day into Isla mode. But then I thought of playa Norte under my favorite palm tree just watching the water and the birds and the waves and sometimes the inside of my eyelids! Ha! Then I thought of my favorite table at Bally hoo right around sunset time. Ahhhh Isla. I guess the last 2 are tied for my favs.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,774 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

The essence of Isla for me is not a single thing or a single place. It is watching the fishermen bringing in and cleaning their catch early in the morning; it is the colorful doorways painted by their inhabitants to mark them as uniquely their own; it is Maria slowly making her way down the beach with those incredible pepitas, calling me amiga di alma. It is Victor’s smile at the Bistro Francais when for the umpteenth time I order the same thing because it is that good; it is the shopkeepers calling me in, reminding me that I said “manana” yesterday. It is the wind in my hair as I drive along the Caribbean coast in my golf cart; it is listening to the incomparable music of Jesus Campuzano at the Café del Mar, or to the laughter and banter of old timers as they are leaving Hemingway’s. The essence of Isla is all of these things and more, and the whole is infinitely greater than the sum of its parts :)

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

My favorite place would be sitting on the front porch of my room at of Villa Kiin having dinner watching the surf and swaying palm trees ...

Safe travels...jimmy

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

Love it!! Two things come to mind. Favorite spot is on north brach under a palm tree, in our own beach chairs with a cooler drinking some cold modelo. But favorite moment that I live for is when we are finally seated on the ferry and it backs out, turns around and hits the engines!! The wind in my hair and smile on my face tells me I'm on my way to paradise!! Thanks for a great question!!

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

Jetskigirl, just read your post after I posted. Surprised we have never seen each other under a palm tree! :)

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

I would say there is not a favorite physical place for me. It's the frame of mind the island put me in. The smells, the feel of the breezes, listening to the locals chatting outside the neighborhood tiendas or sitting in their chairs outside their doors. The colorful homes, the pure simplicity of the whole island. Aaaahhhhhh, just thinking these thoughts and taking a deep breath relaxes me.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

TNY, that was beautiful. And I couldn't have said it better, even if the place/person/time might have been different! The whole is definitely GREATER than the sum. I think I owe you are fresh made margarita for that one, mi amiga!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

It is my frame of mind....no stress, no hurry. I can be sitting in my apartment, on the beach, at a pool, at dinner....I never feel that pull that I should be doing something. At home there is always something to be done. Not here. I love just walking around...the sights, smells and humid air with the breezes...oh my. I have to leave Sat. I am very sad about that.......

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

My favorite "place" is with my family & my doggie.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
825 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Place on Isla

The people we have met on Isla. Locals, ex-pats, and visitors.