We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stays in isla?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
44 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
stays in isla?

I've been going to Isla since 03 and have returnd 7 times since which as it turns out still makes me a beginner!!!! When was your first time? and how many trips back since?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stays in isla?

The first time I ever visited Isla was over Thanksgiving week 2004. I have been back two to three times a year every year since. I had to go back and count, this June will be my 23th trip down. In all the time I have been going to Isla I don't think there has ever been a trip when I haven't discovered something new so maybe that makes me a beginner as well. I will continue to work hard to rise above the novice status. :-)

Edited: 26 February 2013, 20:05
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stays in isla?

I don’t remember the year because we’ve been going to Mexico for over 25 years, all over, not just the Yucatan and we also spent a lot of time in Merida. So I’m kind of vague on the exact time we decided to try Isla, but I do know that the streets were all sand, had no names, and there was nothing much north of Matamoros on Hidalgo. I remember the Red Eye Café run by Inga (I think her name was), and that there were very few restaurants in general and most were not owned by expats. Back then there was no Avalon (Still the El Presidente hotel), no Ixchel, no PA, not many places to stay, really. Not many cabs either, and very few privately owned cars. No villas along the Caribbean and the shell house stuck out all by its unique lonesome. No villas lining the road to Punta Sur either, nor all those condos along the way to Garrafon. There was no Ultramar and you took the slow Magana ferry over with its wooden seats, without A/C and certainly no wifi :) We’ve been going for all those years, many times twice a year, so really can’t count how many times, lol.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stays in isla?

TNY, I wish I could have seen Isla as you've seen it, before everything was built up over the years. Have you ever visited Isla Holbox? I am picturing Isla Mujeres to have looked something like Holbox does now.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stays in isla?

I first went to Isla on the old wooden seat ferry in the 70's when the streets were sand. I think the Avalon was there, but no other high rises. stayed at the Rocamar and had great ceviche. I have been back a couple of times and still findIsla to be charming. The beaches ot Tulum to the south are however far more spectacular and uncrowdwd. Next week i am headed to Holbox which I hope will remind me of Isla in the old days and still be unspoiled.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stays in isla?

Rick, no I haven't beeen. It's on my list though :) What makes me hesitate is the bugs everyone complains of and that the water is not really that nice.

Mimac, the Avalon was then the Presidente :) I think it became the Avalon sometimes in the early 2000s.

Morton Grove...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: stays in isla?

Wow traveler...that is really really neat!! Do they call you a local? Well you retire there?

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stays in isla?

My first trip was in 1973 when I was a travel agent on a "fam trip" to Cancun which had about four hotels then. I was told that you could ride sea turtles on Isla Mujeres-I thought you would hold onto the back of a trained turtle for a tour of the reef at Garrafon which had nothing there then. I fell in love with the island and came at least twice a year when possible. Most tourists then were European. In 1990 I bought a house on what is now called the airport strip with one of the few bits of beach on the east side as my back yard. I paid $34,000US and the house next to me sold a couple of years ago for $550,000US. Moving to Isla was the best decision I have ever made and one I have not regretted for a moment. Sometimes I get frustrated by some of the new "ex-pat" community here which seems to me to be insular and misunderstands the culture that they engage in only marginally, but I cannot imagine spending the rest of my life anywhere else.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stays in isla?

My first trip to Isla was last July 2012, my second trip was in Oct 2012 and my third trip will be on Friday, 2013. Official Islaholic now I guess.

You don't know how good it is to say "I'll be arriving in 3 days.". Or maybe you do !!!!!

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
447 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stays in isla?

First time was in 1996, I was a sophomore in high school and on a school sponsered educational trip of the Yucatan. I didn't return until 2010. I was staying in Cancun but spent most of my time on Isla. I have been back each year since and will be there in 57 days and again later this year in September. I just can't get enough.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stays in isla?

Bsyatwrk, no lol, I'm no local. And as much as I love Isla, I really could not live there on a permanent basis. A few months once I retire maybe but not permanently. I really admire Islawoman for making that big leap :)

And yes, most travelers when I started going were Europeans and/or young backpackers. Not many families with kids at all. It was very different then, with a different vibe. Not saying better; just different :)