We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New places on the island?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New places on the island?

We haven't been to the island in 2 years, are there any new restaurants and bars that we need to try? We will be there March 20-27 and are bringing a couple islands virgins with us!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New places on the island?

Chango Loco they have a Kobe Burger and Los Fueguitos a new steakhouse and Tiny's bar

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New places on the island?

Barlito (paninis and awesome cinnamon rolls) opened in late 2011, I think Mamma Rosa (Italian) opened after that, Fenix Lounge and Lola Valentina are also both new since then.Sergio opened Limon in La Gloria about a year ago.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New places on the island?

I really only like to eat the local food when I'm there. Nothing but Mexican food and seafood :)

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New places on the island?

Bobo's have a Trigger fish and it looks very good

USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New places on the island?

Mama rosa was there in 2009.....respectfully submitted, dear Doug...would love to share a drink and some jokes one day

ct
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New places on the island?

Monchi's in La Gloria-they usually have something with shrimp as a special and the Monchi Caramello is a good excuse to stray from fish for one night!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New places on the island?

Hmm, workfortrips, wonder how my Italian wife missed it! Of course, maybe it was closed in 2010, since many places are when we visit in September.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New places on the island?

Since you mentioned eating local food, I wondered if you tried the restaurant at Buccaneros which is now called Compadres. I haven't tried it for dinner but their breakfasts are amazing. The cazuelas are delicious and my sister had a dish (can't remember what it was called) but it had tortillas wrapped around scrambled eggs, served on top of a bean cream sauce.

Did you try Poc Chuc? Panuchos, tortas and bean soup are wonderful there.

Chuuk Kay has excellent seafood and fish dishes. Fun band on Saturdays and Sundays.

La Nueva Esperanza behind the Yamaha building has very good carnitas.

I don't know what was open when you were there. Last year was my first trip.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New places on the island?

Limon is owned and run by Sergio of Playa Sol beach club fame. I would call it upscale Mexican food. As for a bar, Tiny's bar as mentioned above is new but it has no food. Otherwise, there are lots of great local spots serving local food and just becuase they were open when you were on Isla last doesn't mean you have tried them. It would be helpful if you let us know where you have already been :)

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New places on the island?

Barlito's opened up December 21st, 2010.

Mamacitas is the one that has opened up since the OP was here last.

As well as Bahia Tortuga & Marina Paraiso's Iguana's Bar & Restaurant. And Oscar's introduced .Michael's Aunthentic NY Style pizza & pasta this past September.

Last night, we ate at Los Fueguitos yet again. I tried the grilled portabella with panella cheese on a bed of lettuce with roasted sweet & regular potatoes.....oh, so yummy. I will be eating my leftovers tonight for dinner with some of Michael's Sicilian pepperoni pizza!