We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real vanilla?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Real vanilla?

Where is the best place to buy and how do you know it is not watered down? 120 P to 200 P in the touristy shops, 50 P at the public Mercado. The guys in the touristy shops say the stuff at the mercado is watered down... help!

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real vanilla?

I usually just buy it at the airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real vanilla?

One really good brand is Los Cinco Soles. They have their own stores on places like Cozumel but they also have one at the Cancun airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real vanilla?

The Airport is the best place we have found to get Vanilla. Duty Free Shop!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real vanilla?

We have bought it at oth the airport and Isla. The vanilla at the airport was better and cheaper

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real vanilla?

Look at the ingredients. I used to get it at Mirtitia's, not anymore though. I will need some this year so I'll be looking. I just don't feel like it's true Mexican vanilla if I buy it at the airport.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real vanilla?

LoLo Lorena sometimes has real vanilla from the Veracruz area, beans, too. Most vanilla is from Papampla which is also the home of the Papampla fliers-the guys who twirl down a pole on ribbons. Other than that I have not seen any on Isla in many years. Look at the ingredients: if they include corn syrup and alcohol, it's not the real stuff.

Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real vanilla?

bought at the market, yes alcohol, but I understand all vanilla extract uses alcohol to extract. No corn syrup though. I will check at the airport and maybe buy more.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real vanilla?

The real stuff is made with vanilla and water only. No alcohol, no corn syrup.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real vanilla?

Buy coumarin-free vanilla. Coumarin is derived from the Brazilian tonka bean. The bean can be used to make flavoring very similar to vanilla. Coumarin is toxic and can cause liver damage. It is a known carcinogen. Coumarin is used extensively in synthetic vanillas manufactured in Mexico so make sure you buy real vanilla extract and not synthetic.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real vanilla?

We bought a large jar in Playa del Carmen back in 2008. It's now past its best before date but I still use it for baking. It seems fine to me. How long does vanilla last, anyway? I still have half a jar, don't want to throw it away...