We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer trip report - day 3

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timer trip report - day 3

Woke up and had coffee on the patio. Headed out south on the golf cart this morning. Went all the way down to Punta Sur. Had a quesadilla and cervezas at el acantilado and walked around the trails for a good 2 hours. Absolutely gorgeous views and took many great photos. Even saw a little snake slithering on the cliffs.

Left Punta Sur and drove along the Caribbean side. There are some gorgeous houses over there! Drove a little bit into the Colonias and around the lagoon. Stopped at the bead coop and got some very unique pieces. The ladies were very nice – apparently there are around 60 people that make pieces for the coop, women, children, and even men! One of the bracelets we bought was made by a 10 year old boy, it was amazing. I wanted to stop at la bruja because I had read some good reviews on here but we got turned around a couple times and some of my lady friends were getting a little uncomfortable in the neighborhood (first timers out of the country) so we headed back over to the west side.

Stopped at El veradero. Had amazing mojitos and was really looking forward to the food but they were strangely out of a couple of things – no guacamole and no sweet plantains. Ceviche was okay -the shrimp were the best part and we also got tostones which were dry and not really good. It was a very relaxing place and I could see it as a nice romantic spot if you were with your spouse. It was cool to watch all the fancy boats go by on the lagoon.

There were some guys cleaning boats next door playing loud music and they started playing a song with a long intro of um,,,, extremely loud bedroom noises? The other patrons and us got a good chuckle out of it. After that loud boat left a lady started playing some classic cuban songs on the guitar and singing at el varadero – she was good.

After heading out of El Varadero we heard a band playing next door and we went to check it out at Chuuk Kay. The band was really good and it was nice to hear Spanish music in Mexico (imagine that!). Great service, bathrooms, free wi-fi and tasty pina coladas. Very cute place. We had 1 bottle of water, 4 shots of tequila, 2 pina coladas for 328 pesos / 29 $ USD

Drove down to el centro and walked down hidalgo checking out the shops. Had a light dinner at Brisas and caught the sunset. We were really cold so we had lobster bisques and a shrimp / corn / potato chowder and some amazing garlic tortillas with a spicy dipping oil. The chowder was awesome but the lobster bisque was bland and had some bits of lobster shell in it.

Headed back south towards the condo, passed the checkpoints without being stopped. It was freezing on the golf cart driving south after sunset with the wind!

Went to sleep after an amazing day!

Northwest Indiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer trip report - day 3

Sounds like a fun day. The bead co-op is definitely on my list of musts for my next trip. Brrr, I'm imaging that cold ride south in the golf cart. I know how chilly it can be even on a warm evening after dark.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer trip report - day 3

There are not many vegetables on the island right now. The car ferry being used is smaller than the regular one which is out of service for repairs in Campeche. And the smaller one is not able to cross on days when there are heavy winds because of problems docking and there have been many such days in the last two weeks. So there are many shortages on the island now including fresh vegetables, gasoline and even beer.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer trip report - day 3

Yes, Nann57 be sure to bring a warm sweater!

That makes sense Islawoman - its amazing how the wind can affect so much!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,225 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer trip report - day 3

Sounds like a great day! Too many people make the mistake of thinking the fee at Punta Sur just gets you a closeup look at the art, but those trails provide some of the best photo ops on the entire island. Speaking of which, are there photos forthcoming?

5. Re: First timer trip report - day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:18