We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do it your self or use a travel agent?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wylie, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Do it your self or use a travel agent?

This will be my 7th time to the Yucatan and was thinking of not using an agent this time.Was just wondering what everyone does.Is there a certin site you like to use? Do you book directly with the hotel or condo?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

always with Expedia its simple and fast and really cheap

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

All 7 trips to the yucatan I have booked myself. It's easy with the Internet. I have usually booked lodging directly but have used an agent 2x, once since I wasn't comfortable booking in Spanish and I didn't know who would answer the phone. The agencies on Isla charge the property owner and the cost isn't passed on to the tourist. I have used

Islabeckons.com and lostoasis.com. There are other too.

Air I always do myself.

USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

We have actually found the lowest airfare booking directly with the airline (we like non-stop and Newark has it). We also "negotiate" directly with the resort for a lower rate since we are repeat guests. We haven't used a travel agent since the 90's (and hadn't discovered Isla back then). I do understand the popularity of using on-line booking agents but honestly have not seen a good deal better than what we get on our own. Only time I'd maybe use an agent is for a private rental. Hope this helps!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

Do it yourself. You will find what YOU want at a good price.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,582 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

A couple of times we found fabulous deals with American Express (hence our two stays at Villa Rolandi) but otherwise we book everything on our own.

michigan
Level Contributor
820 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

We prefer to stay at smaller hotels, so I always call or email them directly. I book all of your vacations by myself, it's part of the fun for me.

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

Do you feel confident in your abilities?I have booked every vacation I have ever taken.I`ve used expedia,priceline,apple,funjet travelocity.I have booked through the hotel direct.I like to be in control of my own destiny. somebody is paying the travel agents salary and rent.So it`s up to you,we don`t know your skills but my advice is do it yourself.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

We have not used a local travel agent for a decade now....we book with online agencies like Expedia, Orbitz, www.selloffvacations.com , www.RedTag.ca, www.escapes.ca, www.tripcentral.ca and others. Also have used www.vrbo.com several times for condos, and booked airfare directly with the airline- but I have usually found bundling air and hotel with a site like Expedia results in a lower price, personally.

We have heard all the horror stories, but never had a single problem.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

We haven't used a traditional travel agent in more than a decade, either. We have occasionally used packagers like Expedia, Orbitz or, for a trip to Panama, latindestinations.com. If your trip is simple, these sources can save you some money--we find that it's usually the equivalent of getting airfare for one of us included for free. However, they aren't set up for more complicated trips--multiple destinations, multiple hotels, etc. Yes, they have some flexibility but it usually doesn't match our needs. For our next trip, for example, these sites couldn't seem to deal with the fact that we wanted to fly into Cancun but stay in Merida. We could have booked the package with a hotel only for the Isla portion but even there we are splitting between two B&Bs.

Even if you use a packager, be sure to do your homework. We were all set to include transfers from the airport in one package, but learned that our hotel provided this for free. The packager wasn't about to tell us that.

Fort Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do it your self or use a travel agent?

I have found the same as Rissack, that the combo flight/hotel with Expedia is frequently a great deal. I was a bit worried the 1st time booking online, but with the travel agent charging fees I now do it myself every time. We have also had good luck with Hotwire and Expedia unnamed hotels, especially for overnight hotels near various airport locations. For me half the fun of a trip is the researching / planning