We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

We have been to the island 5 yrs in a row and love it obviously, we have always stayed at Ixchel Condo’s for the luxury and location at the end of Hidalgo (MAIN STREET) and directly on the north beach. We have travelled quite a bit and know what we like and Isla offers many perks.

We live in Canada on the border with Michigan and we easily crossed over into Detroit, Michigan and headed over to the airport, cleared security quickly and started our vacation at the Hockey Town pub with a couple beers and burgers before boarding the plane.

We flew Spirit Airlines which is a discount airline and 3 1\2 hours later landed in Cancun, cleared customs and headed to the duty free shop in the airport for some rum, two bottles only $27.00, so different from Canada where one bottle would have been $33.00.

USA Transfers was waiting for us and took us to the Ultramar Ferry were we really started our vacation, we always get a beer for the ferry ride from the small store at the docks and did so again where I ran into a fellow Canadian from my home town. The ferry ride was nice, overcast clouds but warm, water choppy. Disembarked and took a taxi to Ixchel and checked in.

We were in a hurry to sit down to some guacamole and salsa with chips and decided to try somewhere different so we walked over to the Fenix Lounge which is in front of the Avalon.

We ordered the guacamole and salsa with traditional margaritas. The atmosphere here is fantastic and very scenic with the waves on the one side crashing into shore and the calmer water on north beach side. We liked it so much we stayed for dinner and had the fish tapas (grouper) one with curry flavored fish skewer with wasabi mayo and the other a fish skewer with a mango chutney. Both very good for bar food and only 45 pesos each. We ended up trying a couple others of their margaritas, one a mango margarita and the other a candied ginger margarita, both ok but we liked the traditional better. I would highly recommend Fenix Lounge as a scenic, romantic location that also features live music. It’s always nice to discover new eating spots and Fenix is now on our favorites list.

Jet lag caught up to us early and we called it a night and headed back to Ixchel with the patio doors wide open to the breeze and waves for a restful sleep.

DAY 2

Woke very early to the sunshine at 6 am, took our time and enjoyed our coffee on the balcony and the beautiful early sunshine, eventually made it to the beach and got a complimentary table and umbrella with our lounge chairs.

Around 9am we headed to Barlito for their breakfast Panini which we split, breakfast for two with juice and coffee was 138 pesos. Back to the beach for sun and swimming, the day was very hot and the beach in front of Ixchel very crowded, we figured out why later when we went for a walk, the beach around the bend from Ixchel and in front of Privileges was deserted as the wind was unbelievably strong, sand blowing everywhere, no vendors out on the beach at all. We made it to Bally Hoo for lunch but had to sit in a secluded protected corner as the wind was so strong. Didn’t matter to us though as the food was good, not excellent like I remembered from previous visits, I had fish tacos with tamarind sauce and my wife a shrimp cocktail. Total bill was 280 pesos with a couple beers included. Later did a little bit of shopping then back to the beach before an afternoon siesta.

That evening we shopped a bit and stopped for a pre dinner drink at Fayne’s, we people watched which we always find interesting, later headed over to Olivia’s for dinner. Ixchel is now offering discounts to various participating restaurants and Olivia’s was one of them which was a bonus as we like the food and atmosphere. We both ordered the Mousaka which was excellent and with a couple glasses of wine the bill was 480 pesos. Had our photos taken by the wait staff who were again great. On the way home we purchased pastries (pineapple and chocolate) from the back of a van that parks every night at the end of Hidalgo just before you get to Ixchel, that will be our breakfast for tomorrow. That was it for day 2.

Ok if you are reading this we would like some help with suggestions, Thursday afternoon or early evening we want to go somewhere fun for happy hour or music and food, With Fenix and Olivia we did the romantic npw we want more relaxed and fun. Any suggestions , Chuuk Kay? Soggy Peso? Villa La bella? Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Sounds like a good time so far!

I've heard good things about Chuuk Kay happy hour... never been. If you are here next Wednesday they are having Mark Mulligan play for happy hour from 4-7. Villa La Bella's happy hour is only on Fridays and Soggy Peso does not have a happy hour , it's always happy there! lol

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Bahia Tortuga and Casa de los Suenos both have live music this evening at 6, and La Terraza should have music later, like at 10. Enjoy!

Love the pineapple pie from the pastry truck!

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

What a nice report. Thank you for sharing!

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

What a nice report. Thank you for sharing!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

I think Chuuk Kay's regular happy hour is 3-5 with entertainment by La Banda Sin Nombre.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Actually, on Thursdays La Banda Sin Nombre is now at Casa de los Suenos. Chuuk Kay has music on weekends.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Yes, here's the link I posted in the updated music thread. It's from Wentcoastal's blog and highlights who is playing where this week:

…blogspot.com/p/blog-page_8.html

Great report and I can't wait for the rest! Thank you :)

Edited: 04 April 2013, 19:21
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Oops, thanks for correcting me

Indiana
Level Contributor
248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

Bahia torguga for happy hour drinks & music, easy to hit soggy peso next door....

Had fun at Tiny's and liked Miguel's moonlight for 2x1 before dinner.

10. Re: Finally Here - Trip Report Day 1 and 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:17