We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Oops, I Did It Again"

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
"Oops, I Did It Again"

To quote Britney Spears - "Oops I did it again', I just booked another trip for the end of June.

We will arrive Thursday June 27th which is our anniversary. We'll both have to work half a day but we still should make it to the island by 8:00pm (the advantage of living in Houston) and then it will be straight to Ballyhoo for our traditional first meal of fish & chips, fish tacos and a mango margarita (DM's table, back left hand corner). Our 32nd anniversary meal at Ballyhoo, gotta love it. Work schedule allows me to have an eleven day trip this time around. I just found out that Villa Vera is listed on our time share, so we will stay there for seven days and either PA or Ixchel the other four days.

Normally you go to a place three times and you feel like you have pretty much exhausted all options as far as eating is concerned, but there are so many places I haven't tried yet.

Some places still to try: MUST EATS this time around:

Monchis -

Limon -

Cafe Mogagua -

Poc Chuc -

La Lomita -

La Bruja -

Bastos Grill -

Fredy's -

Picus Cockteleria -

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

OK, you can borrow my table, but leave my chair alone (the one with its back to the docks).

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,568 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

Yay you, that's terrific. Great place to celebrate your anniversary. And btw, don't you still owe us a couple of days worth of trip reports from your last visit? ;-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

Please chime in and help me out with the above mentioned restaurants - looking for suggestions on what to order at these restaurants, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are a few more.

El Varadero -

Casa Rolandi -

Casa de los Suenos -

Minino's Cocteleria -

Any suggestions on what to try ???

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

DM - Thanks for the "permission". lol...

TNY - You are right....stll haven't gotten around to the last couple of days. Getting hazy now though. I know I had a good time...and I ate well....and drank plenty......

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,568 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

At Casa Rolandi have the wood oven grilled whole fish. It's wonderful. Pastas to me are not worth the price because you can get the same past on Hidalgo for less. Another really good dish was the fish carpaccio. We only had lunch at Mogagua and they have a terrific Caesar salad with lots of shrimp. Coalminer had breakfast there and she said the divorced eggs were great. I'd definitely try those there if I were having breakfast. I also love going there for just a drink before dinner and catch up on email and TA on my laptop :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

Thanks TNY...Will make a note of those dishes.

Another question I had was for the cazuela. Whos had the best on the island. I know about La Cazuela M & J but I had heard there are other places that server a better one. Haven't tried this yet...any ideas?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,568 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

Heather swears by the ones at Compadres, the restaurant at the Bucaneros hotel across from Rolandi's. I've read some not so hot reviews recently of the cazuelas at M & J so I'd probably give Compadres a try instead.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

Loved the cazuela at M & J. My DH had grilled garlic conch at Mininos and said it was wonderful. We only had appetizers at Casa De Los Suenos at half price and they were outstanding. I am so jealous, wish I was back.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

37 days, TNY might try the grilled fish, not sure if I want a whole fish though.

The veal is really good, I had the veal piccatta and my late husband had this veal with a brown sauce that had truffles in it, SOO good. I usually fill up on the puffer bread, and just have a main and dessert, but they were making a nice looking Caesar salad for a nearby table, they toss and prepare it tableside, but you can only order it for two people.

PS - this is for Casa Rolandi

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,568 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Oops, I Did It Again"

55Vineyard, you can ask them to filet the whole fish if you order it. And we always split the Caesar salad. It's really delicious.