We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contoy and Other Questions

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Contoy and Other Questions

Hi Everyone!

I've enjoyed reading this forum for several weeks as we have prepared our trip to the Yucatan!

A couple of quick questions . .

1) If you only had two full days on Isla Mujeres would you still use one of them to visit Isla Contoy? I've heard it is amazing, but there are also lots of other amazing things to see and do in our limited time.

2) I'm staying in Hotel La Joya on the South end of the island, I think it looks amazing and fun, but I am kind of nervous about the cost of getting to and from town. We plan on renting a cart one day, but do you know approximate taxi fares to the other end of the island, or to and from the ferry pier? Do you think the pros of such a great little hotel outweigh the cons of having to pay extra for transport on a pretty walkable island? My other choice was Posada Del Mar. I'm just all torn up inside about it : )

Mentioned in this post
Isla Contoy
Isla Contoy
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hotel La Joya
Hotel La Joya
377 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
946 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

If you only have 2 full days in the area - I would skip Contoy this trip. Spend a day renting a golf cart and exploring the island. The second day you can do more exploring and relax on Playa Norte. Maybe your next trip will be longer?

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,332 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

While I am hooked on Posada del Mar for price and location, I don't think it compares to La Joya. La Joya has stunning views and is gorgeous. While you are there you can check out Posada del Mar for your future stays. I don't think cabs would be over $3US.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

Kristi:

1) No, I would not go to Contoy if you have only 2 days. That's pretty much a whole day trip. On the other hand, if you are there during whale shark season (May 15 to Sept 1 or so) I would contradict myself and say to do that--it's a real bucket list experience.

2) Cabs are not really expensive, about $6.50 from where you will be staying down to Centro. Try to organize your days so you're not running back and forth from one end of the island to the other. Personally, if it's your first trip and you're just there for 2 days I would have recommended Posada del mar because most people spend most of their time on a first visit in Centro and on Playa Norte. But you'll be fine. You will probably like your hotel more at La Joya.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,332 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

You guys are all so great, thank you for your advice. I am seriously reconsidering doing the PDC portion of our trip and just staying on Isla. I guess I am just hesitant as I was hoping to see Tulum and Akumal Bay.

DMartin - I am so sad that we are going to beat the whale sharks to Isla by two weeks. I wonder if they could come early just this one year :)

So... this is our first and possibly only trip to the yucatan (poor college students), what would you all do - - the full week on Isla or the 3 night / 4 night split that we are trying to wrangle? Would staying an entire week on Isla be worth forgoing Tulum and Akumal for now?

You guys are so nice to help and care. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do for our once in a lifetime trip!

Edited: 22 April 2013, 20:34
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

There is much to see/do in the Tulum/Akumal area so it's tough to say it's not worth visiting, but as a true Islaholic for me there is never enough time to spend on Isla. I think it may come down to what things are really most important to you in terms of what you would like to see while you are down. The two areas offer different types of experiences. If the ruins and great diving/snorkeling are what you are looking for Tulum/Akumal should be on your list. But if great beaches, restaurants,shops, stunning views and the Trip to Contoy are more of a priority then Isla may be the way to go.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

Rick - I want it all ! Ha ha! That's my whole problem :) I will add that I am a little nervous about PDC. We don't really want party central - we don't drink or party hard (yep, we are mormons ha ha), but giving up the cenotes and akumal bay snorkel are the only thing holding me back from firmly planting myself on the Isla camp. Then again I also have kind of some anxiety issues and with that recent news story about the beheadings in Cancun I am a little leery of venturing out in to the jungle for the cenotes ( I know, I know - - I won't deal any drugs so I should be fine, right? ) :). It's kind of rough suffering simultaneously from anxiety and wanderlust ;) Thanks so much for all the help guys!

Edited: 22 April 2013, 21:12
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

As Rick suggests, it's a question only you can answer. One of the great things about the Yucatan is that there are so many different destinations within the region. We love splitting our time so that we get to see more of the area. Granted, it's easier to do if you have more than a week, but the PDC/Akumal/Tulum area has a lot to offer. Snorkeling in Akumal Bay is fabulous. We loved the ruins at Tulum and at Coba, although they are very different. I'd recommend staying with your split trip.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Coba
Coba
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

I love Contoy but with only 2 days, I wouldn't go either - I would stay on lovely Isla as long as I possibly could. :)

new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

I agree with everyone on skipping Contoy if only on Isla for 2 days. Also agree with DM on splitting the trip, and I'd split it between Akumal (great snorkeling) and Isla.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Contoy and Other Questions

If you are a college student on your first trip to the Yucatan what makes you think it's the "one and only"? You have the rest of your life to return and explore the many places that make this area so special. On your FIRST trip see all the places that interest you most then you can plan where to return and where else to go in the future. I have been six times from Merida to Isla,, Cozumel, Tulum, Playa and places in between and will be back again for more.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico