We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

April 23, 2013

Well I woke up to Caleb puking this morning. He was dehydrated and spent much of the morning vomiting and moaning in pain. First he had stomach cramps and then a bad headache. Jeff and Tristan went to Barlito for breakfast and to bring back the Breakfast Pizza that Brad and Tiffany had made for Caleb. I had leftovers from Rooster Café yesterday and then some breakfast pizza when they got home. It’s kind of a blur because I kept eating a little bit between Caleb falling asleep. Jeff and Tristan went to the beach for most of the morning/early afternoon. Caleb decided he wanted Jeff since he hadn’t seen him all day, so when Tristan came back to check on Caleb I had him tell Jeff to come back and then took my turn at the beach. Tristan and I played in the water for a while and then sat in the sun. Caleb still felt lousy when we went back to the room and now he had a bit of a fever, so Tristan and I went out to find some liquid Tylenol and a flavor of Gatorade that Caleb would like. Apparently the blue Gatorade and Powerade are next to impossible to find on Isla, but we found Limonada flavor at the Navy store which was a hit. We stopped at a farmacia for liquid Tylenol and I was actually able to explain in my limited Spanish and gesturing what I was looking for. Tristan picked up a big bottle of Mirinda and that and the Tylenol was 64 pesos-so about $5 which is about half of what the Tylenol would have cost in the US. We got home and Caleb eventually took a sip of the Tylenol that I had sworn to him would not make him throw up and within seconds he was retching into the bucket and all of the Tylenol came right back up. We put a cool washcloth on his forehead and that felt good. After a bit he decided he’d take a shower and magically popped back to life while in the shower. He was in for a while and sounded just 100 times better. He got out and got dressed and even wanted to go in the pool, but we decided to wait until tomorrow for that. He played some video games and watched some TV and fed the cats and then we decided to go out and pick up some bobbles for the girls in my class. Our plan was to meet Jeff at Bally Hoo in about half an hour. We headed to Hidalgo and I stopped in to the shop that had made Caleb’s sea bean necklace and had them fix my star necklace that I had gotten there the year before. I had it fixed in Puerto Morelos and the guy was super nice, but quite honestly high as a kite and the thing to close it was so super tight that I ended up totally frustrated and actually just ripping it off my neck the night before. He had also used this little triangle thing to attach the star and it dangled down more than I liked-I wanted the leather to go right through it. So while the girl was fixing it (50 pesos), Caleb started getting some stomach cramps again. He was worried he was going to throw up right there on Hidalgo, so we walked back home and decided Caleb would eat his leftover breakfast pizza, Tristan would eat his leftover Margarita pizza, Jeff would eat his leftover hamburger and the sticky ribs, and I would go out and get something to go. Tristan came with me and we stopped at Super Express for some sodas and then headed to Hidalgo to get some bobbles. There was a lady who had been advertising 3 for 20 pesos all week, but when I got there tonight she had changed the sign to 20 pesos par una or something like that that meant for one. I’ve never seen anyone charge that much and every other places advertised 10 pesos each except maybe the places by the ferry dock that list prices in US dollars which is always a tip off that you are going to get screwed. She is the one closest to Super Express on Hidalgo and I have to check my trip report from last year because I think I didn’t like her then either. So, the guy we bought the wrestling masks from didn’t have enough, but found another shop that sold me 22 for 150 pesos. Tristan helped me find 20 turtles-one for each girl in my class and then picked out 1 for him and 1 for his brother. We left for Bobo’s because I wanted my Beer Battered Fish with Caesar salad and was really hoping he would have triggerfish again because that was really good. I was so disappointed when I pulled up and they were closed. I ended up at Valesquez and remembered that was our first meal on Isla 2 years ago and we got it to go. I ordered my breaded fish fillet and paid for it and then we went across the street to the Mini Super Sammy to get some ketchup. I like to pretty much drown my fish in ketchup and it would be embarrassing to ask for the quantity that I wanted from Valesquez. I walked in and found salsas and lots of things, but no ketchup. I asked the guy working there and he looked confused and said some stuff in Spanish so I began my pathetic attempt to communicate and used words like rojo por hamburgueresa and pretended to be pouring it on. Finally he went to a guy sitting on the stoop. When I told him I was looking for ketchup he said, “OH, cat-soop.” Yes, cat-soop. And sure enough, catsup would be pronounced cat-soop in Spanish. I brought my cat-soop back to Valesquez and waited a few more minutes for my fish. We heated everything up and had a nice dinner in the condo. Hopefully everyone is healthy tomorrow!

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

Great report! Hope your son feels better. I have never gotten sick on Isla before, but did last week. Same symptoms, and same length of time. Was actually kind of strange how it just went away, and I felt better. A friend that lives there complained of the same thing the next day..hmmm. That was really sweet of you to get your students the bobbles! I love those things, and so does my cat...she takes them and hides them all! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,249 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

JGS also said her 3 year-old came down with what sounds like the same thing. So between him, Aruba’s child, and Nurse and her friend, it sounds like a bug going around.

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

Well that makes me feel a little better because I thought we always tried to give the kids enough to drink and they are old enough to drink when they are thirsty. It makes me a little nervous too....hope I'm not next!

michigan
Level Contributor
828 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

Great report and sorry that your son was sick. It sounds like the Norovirus. I had it about 6 weeks ago and I was throwing up and very weak, but it didn't seem to last as long as the flu. I was out for about 2 days and then was feeling better.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,249 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

Aruba, I always thought vomiting causes dehydration and not the other way around. I have not heard of vomiting being a sign of dehydration unless the dehydration is so severe that there'd be other signs and you'd notice them: disoriented, dizzy, cold and clammy skin, etc. I doubt your child was that severely dehydrated so most likely it's bacteria or virus caused.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

I feel so bad for your son, I had pretty much that same kind of thing when I was there in December, and trying to work on maps when I was that sick was awful. I'd get up and go for a little bit then head right back to the apt and lay down for a while, it took a couple days before I felt strong enough to be further from home. I hope he feels better soon and Tiffany will have maps today if you still want one!

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

Well he was all worried about eating at breakfast and just ordered a limonada at Cafe Hidalgo and then we stopped at Barlito for a bagel for him on the way home. He ate a little and then when we went down to the beach he starting chowing on Stax Cheddar Potato Chips and ordered a Coconut Ice Pop which he also polished off. He has been fine and now says he's 99%. I think we are good. Tiffany didn't have the maps yet as of this morning. We may pick one up tomorrow or may just wait until our next trip. I'm dying to see it though! My 10 year old has informed me that we can come back here for my birthday this year if I want. We ended up at Niagara Falls last year for my 40th...I'm wondering if I can pull of an annual birthday vacation. I teach at an Orthodox Jewish school and I think we actually have a week off around my birthday.

8. Re: April 23 Trip Report-I'm Caught Up...and Cat Soop Adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:17