We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

Just returned 2 weeks ago from our fifth stay on Isla. I so want to be back there. We have never brought the kids. I Found some decent airfare. Now I need advice from people who have experienced a home or larger rental that would accomadate our family. I know there are companies who can help us. I am looking for first hand experience or knowledge of someone who has, of where a family of 7 can stay and enjoy all Isla Mujeres has to offer.

I am not sure they have padded rooms there, but I am hoping they will not drive me crazy on vacation!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

We had a 2 bedroom apt when we brought 3 teens - worked out very well. You definitely want a place where you have at least a fridge & microwave. It takes too much time for every meal out - and teens are bottomless pits! We were there for about 10 days with ours and had a great time. We did a few tours - Chichen Itza (along with Il Kil cenote & Ek Balam) and a trip with Tony to Isla Contoy.

What part of the island do you want to be on? When would the family trip be? Nightly budget? :)

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I have always wanted to stay at Casa Amarilla but maybe Ixchel would be good because it's right on north beach. Puerta Al Mar condos are also very nice.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

Um I guess we have stayed north beach or airport strip, but might be open to other areas. Looking to stay pretty moderate, maybe 200 a night. I could get 2 rooms many places, but I do like the idea of a kitchen and fridge. The kids defintely can eat! thinking march of next year or end of October this year. Thanks so much for the reponses.

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I would choose one with a pool.....Plasa Almendros or Pasada Del mar...Both have pools and nearby Rest, All of Plasa's rooms have frig.,MW and coffee pot. Like 1st floor around pool for group.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 03:08
Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I say you rent all 3 rooms/suites at Luna D'Miel. (There are only 3) 2 have king beds, one has 2 queen beds. All with fridge, microwave, coffeepot. Small 'dipping' pool, backs right up to the shore on airport strip. Has wi-fi, TV, plenty of storage. I think for September being low season, they are $50 US a night?? We just stayed there, and it is a GREAT spot! Directly across the street from the wind sock on the airstrip.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

You'll find a huge difference in price between October and March so some really nice places might fit your budget in October. El Milagro would be a good option, lots to do on the grounds for kids (kayaks, pool, beach (granted, it's not Playa Norte), games room, movie room, lots of space and walking distance to town. They will add beds to any unit too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I second what Doglover posted and would look at Puerta Al Mar condos. 3 bedrooms and a big kitchen and 3 balconies.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
688 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I think I'd want to be where THEY wont need transporation to do the things they want to do so you aren't tied down playing taxi when two want to go to the beach and the others want to go elsewhere...not sure what the prices are for Ixchel but we had seven of us in a two bedroom, one king and two doubles with a pull-out. Loved that we could walk everywhere, had a full kitchen, two bathrooms and a nice deck (well, we rented the penthouse so we also had the rooftop sun area with another bathroom, sun bed, etc. but that isn't necessary if you are trying to stay within budget). Also, I think you could probably do three rooms at Posada Del Mar for $200 but only a fridge I think?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,891 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I agree with Heatandsun, big difference in prices between March and October. The second is low season so considerably less expensive in most places. Even Posada del Mar would be well over 300 dollars for 3 rooms in March, and the rooms in the new buildings only have fridges, as mentioned. The older buildings don’t even have that except in the 3 suites. No coffee pots or MW either

Plaza Almendros as mentioned above is perfectly located and the rooms do have kitchens. But again, 3 rooms in high season would be over your budget. I think renting a house with full kitchen would be a great option, though I do agree that you should pick that’s conveniently located for your kids so they’re not without transportation.

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you rent if you were traveling with 5 Teenagers?

I was going to suggest El Milagro as well.