We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything bad about Ixchel?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Anything bad about Ixchel?

I am about to book one of the penthouses at Ixchel. It really looks great, almost too good to be true. Any last minute comments about this place? Is it worth the extra money for the penthouse? What drew me to it was the rooftop terrace. Also, how long of a walk to the xpress market that I keep reading about from Ixchel? And just how do you pronounce Ixchel?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

Many people love the penthouses, my bro-in-law is booking one for his second time. Personally, I feel the oceanfront suites are just as nice at a lower price because their wraparound balconies are HUGE and you're right over the beach. Depending on where your PH is, you might not have nearly the beach view. But the PH units, of course, come with a jacuzzi. The one PH I would recommend above any other suite on the island, however, is PH 709 in Ixchel II. It's stunning.

The Super Express is straight down Hidalgo to the plaza, about 6 blocks, then a block to your left. There are also many other smaller places that are closer.

You'll see the name "Ixchel" often on the island. Ixchel was the Mayan goddess of the moon and fertility, and the small ruins on the southernmost tip of the island are the remains of a temple to her. The name is pronounced, "ee-SHELL."

Edited: 05 May 2013, 00:54
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

Don't think twice about it...book it! We've stayed at Ixchel on the ground floor ocean front unit and we're headed back again in June, this time on the 2nd floor. I'd stay in a broom closed at Ixchel, that's how much I love it there. I've traveled many-a-miles in my lifetime, and have been fortunate to visit lots of wonderful places, and I didn't have one complaint what-so-ever about the complex. You'll love it there!

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
450 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

It is amazing, I would rebook in a heartbeat. Last July I spent 7 nights in a penthouse suite and it was amazing. I suggest 507/508, second back from the ocean, newer and larger hot tub. I will stay there again, there is nothing bad about it. Right on the best section (IMO) of beach and right at the end of Hidalgo, perfect location.

Level Contributor
267 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

We were 6--grandparents, parents, and 2 children-- staying in a penthouse 5 nights last November, booked through vrbo.com. We loved the view--we were straight on, in Ixchel 1 (501/502 if I remember correctly). We did not use the penthouse much, as the jacuzzi was being worked on 2 of the days and the kids were not comfortable being up there with "strangers." The ad said it was a hot tub but it was not, and we never entered it--too cold--though that was one of the reasons we had booked that unit. We did like the unit itself and have booked the unit below it for this June. We used the porch with the full view all the time., and certainly appreciated the location and comfort.

Orlando
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

We have fallen in love with this property. we stayed last year in the oceanfront suite 2609-2610 which is the top floor wrap around unit over the beach. Great Condo and wonderful Owners to deal with. We tried to rent the same unit this year in June, however, it was already rented for the time we would be on the inland. So, the Owners helped us rent unit 2408 for our stay. We cant wait...42 days.

SallyLuu, When in June are you guys going to be at Ixchel?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,636 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

We had the oceanfront suite and it was stunning. There's nothing bad about Ixchel at all. The only slight negative (to me, others may not care at all) was the pool. Too small and shallow, with most of it taken up by a ledge for loungers. Other than that, can't think of a single thing. I'd definitely go back.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
811 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

While we loved our stay in the PH unit (505 maybe) I think you were looking for things we might not like? We did not love the second bedroom which are also the studios you can rent as lock-offs. They are one room (I think it was two doubles) with a window, small kitchen area and bathroom. It was pretty small but what we didn't like is that it was dark. Keep in mind that we of course had the rest of the unit and the absolutely gorgeous rooftop terrace with a rainshower bathroom, king size sun bed, large hot jaccuzzi with an ocean view and lots of other comfortable furniture. This was a trip with 10 women, we rented one PH 2bedroom and an added studio on the first floor.

As for the SuperExpress, if you are staying a week you will do better at Chedraui. But even better,we were able to hire someone through our rental agent to stock the fridge before we got there! I emailed her a list and paid a small fee on top of the prices (maybe 15%?). We had beer and wine, toast/butter/jam, coffee and cream/sugar, fresh fruit, etc. to get us by for the arrival day and breakfast the first morning.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

In case you haven't seen it, here is the link to the Playa Norte webcam which is located on Ixchel west tower

webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-isla-mujeres.html

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

Mickeysdog - We're going to be there June 4th through the 11th. Patiently counting down the days, hours and minutes!

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything bad about Ixchel?

Only Ixchel 1 has the rooftop terraces. They are amazing-the only negative would be if you have small kids the spiral staircase may scare them. You can also take steps or the elevator but when it is really windy, watch the door out because it tends to smack back in your face. We loved the rooftop terrace. Super express is an easy walk and we found the prices of most sodas, alcohol, snacks cheaper there than Chedraui.