We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Recommendations

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Humboldt...
Level Contributor
61 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Recommendations

I have been poking around the forums for a while now but thought it was time to post- finally! My Fiance and I are getting married at Privilege Aluxes on Isla on July 13th of this year. We are doing a civil legal ceremony just with our 4 witnesses traveling with us, and that is all being handled by the coordinator at PA. However we felt they were charging a bit much for some things I would rather do myself so we got those excluded out of our package and are now looking for someone local on the Island instead. I am hoping someone can offer some recommendations for us in the categories below, thanks!!

We need to find the following:

-flowers/flower market (I will be doing my own bouquet & his bouttionere the day of- I like playing with flowers!)

-cupcakes (probably only need a dozen- we're adventurous eaters so the less plain jane the better!)

-Champagne (we're not picky, I enjoy Cooks but it has to be a Brut, I can't stand the sweet stuff- we'd like to gift our guests/witnesses a bottle when they arrive)

-Hair/Makeup for bride (I haven't decided yet if I am doing it myself or not- I've looked at the Make me Beautiful website but it seems to be very natural & light makeup)

Also- we are giving our 4 witnesses/guests a giftbag on arrival, is there anything you really wished you had on Isla? We are including a mapchick map, welcome note, a few postcards, waterbottle/bubbakeg, champagne, waterguns, small first aid/hangover kit, & biodegradable sunscreen for snorkeling....

After the wedding & honeymoon we are flying to our families home state for a home reception- fiesta themed BBQ! I'm wondering if there were any souvenir type things on the island that might make good decorations, centerpieces, and/or gifts?

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Recommendations

Sorry I can't help with your questions but I LOVE your giftbag ideas. Maybe you need to become an Isla wedding planner ;)

Did you check the top questions thread about getting married on Isla? Maybe there are some ideas on there if you haven't looked already.

Have a great wedding and honeymoon!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Recommendations

I know you can get veuve at chedruai for sure.

There are tons of little souvenir shops in centro with neat stuff including handmade pottery ( that could be used as part of a floral centerpiece)

Not 100% sure on te other questions so will allow others more knowledgable to chime in.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Recommendations

Unfortunately, as a guy, I'm not able to give you any good advice about most of your questions, however, my wife and I got married at Moon Palace 2 years ago, and we gave all of our guests travel mugs that we had made up with our names, date of the wedding, and location. Everyone LOVED them as they are a great thing to have on any trip to keep the drinks cold on a hot beach! We were able to get some great pricing due to quantity breaks (we had 40 guests) so 4 might be very expensive to personalize, but mugs in general might be a good gift. For our upcoming Isla trip on the 22nd (!!!) I just bought us some 20 oz Bubba mugs on Amazon for $10. They are awesome for the beach! Congrats on the wedding and good luck!!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Recommendations

I might be able to make a few recommendations for you:

-flowers/flower market (I will be doing my own bouquet & his bouttionere the day of- I like playing with flowers!) - There is a flower shop that has a pretty good selection of fresh flowers on Madero, just a couple doors down from Miquel's Moonlight.

-cupcakes (probably only need a dozen- we're adventurous eaters so the less plain jane the better!) - I would contact Tiffany at Sonrisas Catering (also owner, along with her husband Brad, of Barlito restaurant on Hidalgo). Google Sonrisas and you'll find her.

-Champagne (we're not picky, I enjoy Cooks but it has to be a Brut, I can't stand the sweet stuff- we'd like to gift our guests/witnesses a bottle when they arrive). You will find a pretty descent selection at Chedraui on the island.

-Hair/Makeup for bride (I haven't decided yet if I am doing it myself or not- I've looked at the Make me Beautiful website but it seems to be very natural & light makeup). There is a salon in the same building as the Rocamar Hotel in town. The salon is called Mi Secreto and I think you'd be very happy with the work that Ursula does.

Also- we are giving our 4 witnesses/guests a giftbag on arrival, is there anything you really wished you had on Isla? We are including a mapchick map, welcome note, a few postcards, waterbottle/bubbakeg, champagne, waterguns, small first aid/hangover kit, & biodegradable sunscreen for snorkeling.... - My daughter included in her giftbags a beach towel and small picture frame for them to have for a picture from the trip.

After the wedding & honeymoon we are flying to our families home state for a home reception- fiesta themed BBQ! I'm wondering if there were any souvenir type things on the island that might make good decorations, centerpieces, and/or gifts? - In my opinion, you could find everything you need for decorating the reception area at a party store or dollar store back in the States. I wouldn't haul anything back from Mexico that you can't find at home. You might be interested in bringing back some fabric from Hortensia's shop to use for table clothes, but it depends on what your plans are....

I hope this helps.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Recommendations

I forgot one thing - Congratulations and best wishes. Have a wonderful time on your special day, and I just know you will enjoy your time on Isla Mujeres. Don't forget to report back and let us know how much you loved your visit!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,660 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Recommendations

Unfortunately the link no longer works so I can’t show you the pictures but according to WolrabRoil (she lives on Isla), Sugar and Spice bakery makes some awesome looking cupcakes. I don’t even like sweets but would buy them, lol. Hopefully she’ll see this and post the contact info for the bakery.

ITA about Mi Secreto for hair and makeup.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Recommendations

Congratulations, what a beautiful place to get married!

Another gift idea along the bubba keg lines is a "personalized" Tervis tumbler with their initial on it. I attended a wedding last summer at Dreams & the bride wished she'd brought them for their wedding party. If you've never used one, these tumbers are great for keeping drinks cold (or hot), & keeping the sand & pool water out. They have lids in several colors so you could coordinate them with your colors! Mine has a black initial, but I've also seen them in red. I usually buy them at Bed, Bath & Beyond so I can use the 20% off coupons. Oh, and they also have Bride & Groom tumblers!!

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Recommendations

I think that the little bobble head animals that they sell on Isla would look really cute placed at each persons setting at the table. They are painted so bright and beautifully. Maybe a few sets of Maracas down the center of the table along with your flowers.

We ate at a delicious little bakery a few weeks ago on Isla, it was on the same block as El Charco (deysi y Raui). Don't know the name. Had flan, chocolate cake and coconut tres leches. All were amazing. I think that a coconut tres leches cupcake would be delicious.

As for gift bags, we collect a Christmas ornament from every place that we travel. We have some beautiful hand painted bulbs from PDC, I also saw them on Isla. You could bring down a paint pen and put your names and wedding date on them.

I was married in PDC in 2005, 8 years ago yesterday :) Have a wonderful wedding.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,660 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Recommendations

I found the information WolrabRoil posted a while back about the new Sugar and Spice bakery. Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/SweetandSpiceBakery?fref=ts

email: k80abbott@hotmail.com

Doglover, I think that bakery is called Dulce Tentacion (or tentaciones).

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
347 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Recommendations

You could put your gifts into a beach bag...I like the beach towel idea too.