We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report days 2 & 3

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report days 2 & 3

Day 2 & 3

I woke up to sunshine and beautiful skies. My husband, on the other hand, is an early riser, so he got up at what he thought was 5:30, thinking it was 7:30 at home and that he slept in. Of course, as it is still really dark outside, he went onto the balcony with his coffee, read his Ipad, and wondered what time the sun rises on Isla and where all the people are. A couple of hours later, I finally got up and we headed to breakfast at A & G loncheria, but not before the great “what time is it, really...” debate. It turns out, after much conversation and rebooting of electronics, my husband realized he got up at 3:30 Isla time, and the rest of the world was not sleeping the day away. And the sun does rise at a normal time on Isla too. ;) Breakfast was fabulous, a bacon and cheese omelet for me, scrambled eggs for hubby, 2 waters for around 130 pesos. We took the beach back to our hotel, and watched while the beach clubs came alive, raking seaweed, putting out chairs, as people started making their way to spend the day. The weather was awesome, and we hung out at Chi Chis for the day, taking a lunch break for Barlitos. Brad and Tiffany were there, and Tiffany told us about the craft fair that was taking place that evening. Lunch was great, Hubby had the pulled pork and I had a meatball sub. Both yummy, mine was too big to finish, so I brought the rest back to the room, as we had a fridge. Lunch came to around 220 pesos, with iced tea and diet coke.

After lunch, we headed back for more beach time, just relaxing on the beach, reading, people watching whatever. We spent sunset cocktailing on our balcony, then headed to the Palapa Bar at Posada del Mar for happy hour with Romy. We had buckets of beer for around 90 pesos and lots of laughs with Romy until we realized we needed food! Off to Poc Chuc, where DH had his favorite Enchilada Suiza and I had Arrachera. Both were delicious, and with drinks, our bill came to around 180 pesos. Crazy cheap, and so good. After dinner we called it a night, happy hour was a little too happy!

Friday morning we awoke to rain, so we hung out in the room for awhile waiting to see what the weather was going to do. When there was a break in the storm, we headed out to breakfast at the loncheria, again at A & G. I just love the red sauce they put on their omelets. After breakfast, it started raining again, so we hung out at the room for a while, until the rain stopped, which turned out to be lunch time. So it was perfect! I was dying to try the famous Bally Hoo fish tacos, and the did not disappoint. That tamarind sauce was fabulous and having lunch overlooking the water is so spectacular. After lunch, we headed back to Chichis to see if we could get some beach time, but it was too windy to lay out, so we ended up walking around the island for a while, checking out out places we had never been, and looking for Isla Animals so we could drop off a donation. We didn't find it that day, but ended up finding all sorts of new routes to take to get around, which is always fun. I got to cross some places I had considered staying off my list, and added a few more. Cocktails on the balcony, then we caught a cab to Villa La Bella, for happy hour and the famous Pina Coladas which were delicious! Curtis and Ashley were pleasant hosts, and there was a small crowd there. Everyone seemed to know everyone, except us of course, and there was a little too much cigarette smoke for my liking but we were glad we went and would probably go again on a warmer night so we could sit outside. After our drinks we got a cab and headed to Miguel's Moonlight, which quickly became one of our favorite hangouts. Service was great, our waiter was so fast we didn't even have to look for him when we were ready for another beer, he just magically appeared! Soon it became (late) dinner time and we headed to Taqueria Medina, another restaurant I had been dying to try. Yummy!! We grabbed a table outside had a great meal, DH had a chicken burrito and I had a taco smorgasbord. I had to try several to figure out which was my favorite, which turned out to be steak, but they were all good. I can't remember what the total bill was, but I remember thinking that it we spent more on our bar bill, and we are not heavy drinkers! After dinner we went in search of ice cream for hubby and settled on the shop with the big Ice Cream Cone out front, Panna Y something. I was too full but he managed to choke some down before heading home.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report days 2 & 3

What a delicious report, including several of my favorites: Alexia y Geovanny, Barlito and Bally Hoo. And drinks at Villa La Bella, with that incredible view. We'll be staying there our first 3 nights next trip. And my wife has never eaten an entire Barlito panini in one sitting, either.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report days 2 & 3

Another wonderful couple of days on Isla. Just love reading all the great food reports and the many wonderful places there are to visit. 38. more days and we'll be sinking out teeth into some of those Bally Hoo fish tacos. Until then, I will make do reading other people's trip reports which I also love to do.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report days 2 & 3

Rookies you two ain't!

Nice!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report days 2 & 3

Thank you! This forum helps so much in choosing where to go, where to stay, and what to eat. Plus our Mapchick Maps are invaluable! :) Day 4 and 5 coming soon...

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report days 2 & 3

Poc Chuc and Taqueria Medina are two of the best values on the island. Thanks for the great reports!

6. Re: Trip report days 2 & 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:16