We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Punta Sur

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Punta Sur

We are at Casa Colibri with bikes for the next few days and want to have something good thats not too terribly far away from where we are (about .25miles north of Punta Sur on the Caribbean side). Any suggestions with location?

Thank you!!!

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

PS-we went to Oscar's last night, so thats about the distance away that we would want to travel.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,581 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

Closest to you are Acantillado at Punta Sur, The Joint, and Casa de los Suenos, on Cancun side. With the exception of the last one, the other two close early evening (around 4 or 5 ). With a golf cart or cab you have a much wider choice in the colonias, like Limon, Bastos Grill, etc.

ETA: just saw you post about Oscar so in that case, you have a wider option than the three I mentioned.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 18:37
Darien,Connecticut
Level Contributor
430 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

Head into LaGloria on one of the side streets off the Caribbean road & you should be able to find El Charcol, La Bruja,Limon& Bastos. They are all in the area of Super Express. A far easier trek thsn Oscar's.

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

Thank you all for the suggestions, I decided to just hoof it into town on my lunch break (yes have to do a bit of work) and go to, I think Mangolitas, almost across the street from Mango.

I swear, I must be the only one on this forum that thinks the food on this island is incredibly average, at best. I mean, I've had 6 things in all of my trips here that I thought were good enough to eat again, and I'm by no means a picky eater! Honest to God the best 2 things I've had are the potato thing from Cubano, and a roasted rotisserie chicken with all the fixings. Oh, and the fish and ceasar salad from Bobo's. Other than that, I'm baffled. Damn, just opened up pandoras box, thats not to say I don't love it here and will always come back, but I think the expectations that you are going to dine on some amazing culinary experience are just unfounded. Prove me wrong!!! Still have 10 more days.

Edit: we are trying LoLo Lorena on Friday, and it looks like its going to be amazing!

Edited: 29 May 2013, 21:34
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,581 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

LOL, just to show you how subjective food is, I never got the whole rave thing about those potatoes. Anyway, I don't know where you've eaten but yes, I agree, you can have some pretty mediocre meals but also some pretty amazing ones, depending on where and what you order. Some of my favorite dishes have been the chicken and olives at Olivia (or the shishlik), the surf and turf at the Bistro Francais, the wood oven grilled tuna steak at Rolandi's (or the shrimps with parsley sauce), the tikin xic for two at Brisas Grill, and the garlic fish filet at Miramar.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

Relax, bro.

Okay everyone, grab Justin J and roast him over a wood fire (Jus-tin-Tix?)

; )

Everyone is fully welcome to their opinions here, and we're all so different (and have such different expectations.) That's what makes this forum so great!

In seven trips (eight coming up a couple of weeks), we've always been delighted in taste, quantity and price. Maybe we've just been lucky (but we haven't won the lottery yet.)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

I think it's just being in Mexico and on holiday that makes the food sometimes taste so good...along with the fact that I didn't have to cook it LOL.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

I don't think that even the most diehard Islaholic would try to claim that Isla is one five-star dining experience after another--it's not. But I haven't been to any other vacation destination with so many good, affordable choices in such a small village. That an island only 5 miles long would boast more than 130 restaurants still amazes me. And luckily for us, we love the food at many of them.

The fish tacos at Bally-Hoo; the pork chop at Fredy's; the black bean soup at La Lomita; the tikinxic at either Casa del Tikinxic or Playa Tiburon; the Blume panini at Barlito (or the One-Eyed Cajun); the huevos motulenos at Alexia y Geovanny; the ceviche at any of the coctelerias, which are good to begin with but are enhanced by the sunset views; and, as you mentioned, the Hungarian Potatoes at Qubano; these are all excellent dishes, as is whatever Lolo Lorena is dreaming up.

Just last night I was watching an episode of Bizarre Foods and Andrew Zimmern was eating a family meal somewhere in the South. He was saying that while you can get great food from chefs that have studied at CIA or Le Cordon Bleu, somehow they lack what your Grandma turns out from her own kitchen. It's that homestyle approach that typifies the food we love to eat on Isla. No, it doesn't taste like it was prepared by a James Beard Award winner. It tastes like it was made with love by somebody's abuela.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

I would add crepes, fruit, coffee frappe & capucchino at cafe hidalgo

Brochette de mariscos, ceviche, & cockteles at picus

Salbutes, panuchos, chile relleno, enchiladas suizas, guacamole, & very cold Negro modelo at Poc Chuc on Jaurez

These are some of my favorites. I don't think I have ever had "5 star" food. It's out of my budget but I do love the above food.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants near Punta Sur

The best cook I have ever known was my grandmother, who was a simple Appalachian woman that cooked good Southern cookin' fare. She would always apologize for her food, but it was ALWAYS the best I've ever had anywhere. Sure, part of it might've been the love I had for her, but she knew how to milk the flavor out of anything.

My DMartin analogy for the day.