We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
115 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

I'm trying to make a decision regarding ferries to Isla Mujeres. Years a go my husband and I took a charming slow ferry from Puerto Juarez to the island. I'm not sure it exists anymore. I see there is still a ferry but it looks a little fancier than the very basic one we took with locals instead of tourists. Does anyone have an idea how much a cab between the Zona Hoteleria and Puerto Juarez would be? Or is there a city bus that would get us there to Puerto Juarez?

Thanks in advance for your time and information!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

There is a bus to Puerto Juarez from the hotel zone. Look for an R1 bus that has a yellow Isla Mujeres ferry sign in the front window. It will also say Ultramar, the ferry service name across the top front of the bus.

The slower ferry is not the Ultramar, the other ferry which is mostly locals is a little further to the north of the Ultramar dock. You could walk it of take a taxi. These ferries are not much slower than the Ultramar, they aren't the charming ones from years ago, in my opinion.

A taxi will probably run you about 150 pesos to Puerto Juarez, depending on where you get one in the hotel zone.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

If it were me I would just get an Ultra Mar from the Marina Playa Tortugas ( hotel zone) to Isla. They don't run as late so when you return to Cancun you could get the ferry to Puerto Juarez and cab back to your hotel from there.

There is a car ferry that runs from Punta Sam to Isla Mujeres. I don't know what the taxi fair is to Punta Sam it is farther north than Puerto Juarez. I don't know if I would call it charming, maybe rustic?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

Last week, from Oasis Sens (km 19.5) to Playa Tortuga, the fare was $160 pesos. Return ferry fare was US$17 pp. I paid in pesos at 13 pesos to the dollar, a horrible rate (220 pesos). I think I got screwed good! The return ticket is valid for return to Pto Juatez, I've been assured.

I did not ask the fare from hotel to Pto Juarez, I figured that any saving on ferry fare would be paid in taxi fare. Plus, I got to experience being the only tourist on the ferry with luggage. Everybody else went thru tbe picture taking, we just got set aside until boarding.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

Those old wooden boats stopped running years ago, sorry. They were charming and slow. Now we have big, beautiful boats between the Gran Puerto Cancun terminal in Puerto Juarez and the island, with indoor and outdoor seating and even a bar. But you can't sit on the bow and dangle your legs as you watch the island get closer and you could on the old boats.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 20:23
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,665 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

It would help to provide your hotel name.

Useful ferry info here:

granpuerto.com.mx

Yes there is a good bus system.

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

Just took a cab from puerto Juarez a few hours ago to Riu peninsula, guy said it would be $30, which I quickly lost my $hit on him. Sucks being spoiled by the honesty on Isla. Ended up settling on 150 pesos

Manchester...
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

We were on the ferry that is north of the Ultra Mar ferry last summer (2012) and at that time it was plenty slow-not what I was expecting after having ridden on an Ultra Mar the year before. As I recall an ultraMar left when we did with 2 more passing us before we got to IM.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

The boats that leave from the dock just north of the Ultramar terminal are the Magana ferries. They were the first fast ferries to and from the island and operated for years, along with the old wooden boats, before the advent of Ultramar. But they are old now and slower and the combination of the odors of cleaning fluid and diesel fuel is pretty hard to take in an enclosed area-they have no outdoor seating. They charge locals ten pesos than the Ultramar ferries but visitors pay the same rate on both lines.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

less than $20 to Puerto Juarez but just take the ferry to playa caracol you're right in the hotel zone

10. Re: Cab Fare from Hotel Zone to Puerto Juarez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:17