We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we take a whale shark tour?

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Should we take a whale shark tour?

I am debating on whether to take a whale shark excursion. I know this is considered one of the "must things to do" while vising Isla Mujeres. We do enjoy being in the water. I would like your ideas/thoughts.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

Definitely, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity! My wife convinced me to go as I was a llttle apprehensive given the price, but I'm so glad we went! It is something I will remember for the rest of my life, and the pictures and videos we got are an incredible reminder of it that everyone who has seen it is amazed by.

Canada
Level Contributor
240 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

Yes .

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

Yes, it is really an amazing experience. You may have seen Rick S stating recently that his son called it "the greatest experience of his life." But there are a few things to keep in mind:

1) The ride out and back is a long one in a fairly small boat. Figure on an hour or so each way. If boats make you nervous, this can be difficult. The ride can be a bumpy one.

2) The whale sharks are out about 10-12 miles from shore, so when you get to the area there will be no shoreline in sight. Some people are nervous about jumping out of a perfectly good boat. We tried to get my parents into the water, but they declined. Turns out it wasn't the whale sharks that made them nervous, but the thought of being in open water so far from shore.

For many of us, the experience is well worth the boat ride. How could you miss this?

…photobucket.com/user/DMartin216/media/Isla%…

canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

I loved swimming with the whale sharks was such a fantastic experience. I just learned that whale sharks go to La Paz Mexico in the winter so may have to consider heading that way this winter.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will make plans for this activity.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

The answer to your question is an emphatic YES!!! My son and I were on Isla last week and went out with Jorge from On Isla Mujeres and not only was it the highlight of an amazing two weeks , but one of the high moments of our lives.

NC
Level Contributor
819 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

DEFINITELY! However, at this time, the Whale Sharks are a little further out. We just got back the other day - June 17 - and we had to go out 22 miles. It was a great time & I highly recommend 'On Isla Mujeres Water Tours with Jorge De La O' We went and then an entire Wedding Party went - everyone loved it!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

Absolutely. I did it 6 days ago, it was the second most amazing experience of my life. If you are on Isla and you can afford it, GO. Even if you do not swim you will get a very good look at them from the boat. GO. If you have to save up to afford it, save up and then GO.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

Yes! I am going Friday morning with Captain Tony. Can't wait!

Plainview, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we take a whale shark tour?

We went last summer. The trip out and back was very long and rough. It was a neat once in a lifetime thing to do. There were only 2 whale sharks. There were many boats with many people on each boat trying to see the whale sharks. The boat driver tries to get as close as possible. The crew gets you ready. two of you jump over the side and try to see the whale sharks. You better be an experienced swimmer because you are in the sea and the waves are rough. The whale sharks swim fast and they are gone before you know it. Two of our kids got sick while we were at sea. Not a very good experience for us.