We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

I've been in Alaska several years now, but miss days from down south and easy travel to the Yucatan. I'm planning a trip to Isla Mujeres in the fall. I've been to Isla M many times, but it's been almost 10 years now.

What can I expect? Have prices gone way off the scale? I used to be able to stay at Posada del Mar for $25 a night, can I expect sticker shock? Is it still funky and loveable? Can you still find the small local eateries where you can eat for mas barato. I so completely miss Playa Norte and the diez pesos girls on the beach with their sweet smiles and bracelets for sale, the afternoon soccer games the locals play on the beach, and the relaxed atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,333 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

You'll find that a lot has changed but at heart Isla remains Isla. The girls with the sweet smiles selling bracelets are still there, Playa Norte is still wonderful, the small eateries are still serving up delicious food, and a lot about Isla remains funky and lovable :)

You won't find a room at the Posada del Mar for 25 dollars but there are still rooms to be had without sticker shock. You should be able to get a nice room there in the fall for about 60 dollars, not a bad price considering that it's across from the beach, has a new pool and a new palapa bar and the same old Romy is still serving up his special drinks with his special smile.

There are other places that are still reasonably priced along with the more expensive, modern hotels that have gone up since you were there last. The biggest changes that have occurred are the incredible variety of restaurants serving an incredible variety of food: Thai, French, Israeli, Cuban, Fusion, you name it, you can find it. And while some changes were not necessarily for the better, many were, and I'm sure you'll find the Isla you remember so fondly :)

I

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,333 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

Check out Hotel Las Palmas. It's $60 - $80 a night no matter if its one person or four in the room and it's a great place....

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Las Palmas
Hotel Las Palmas
302 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

The biggest change is that the two/three story limit for new buildings (depending on location on the island), has been done away with. Of course, this was never enforced on the tiny island supporting the Avalon/El Presidente.

I suggest you wander south into the colonias to find what you seek.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
594 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

I decided to spend the last 3 nights of my month long stay in Centro (where did the time go?) Went to town this am and booked 3 nights at PDM, the first new section for $57/per night. Like the Caribe side, but wanted sometime in Centro.

Met two single women who stayed in the rustic bungelows at Playa Media Luna, and loved it. $35 usd/nite. You can also use the pool at the hotel, plus the lobby wifi and microwave. The bungelow has a/c, tv and fridge. Great price!

Edited: 24 June 2013, 01:30
WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

Taxie cabs running up and down the island and more and more cars...LOL..

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

I don't think the Ultramar ferry service was operating ten years ago. And no more old, slow and charming wooden boats. The navy base, to the right as you approach the island, has been completely redone in what is called "Mayan Military" style. Many, many new McVillas at the south end, lots more gringos living here. Most roads are now paved and most major roads have sidewalks. Golf carts rule. Hidalgo is now a pedestrian walkway. Lounge chairs line the North Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Ultramar
Ultramar
20 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

"Is it still funky and loveable?"

Yes, despite all the changes described above.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

I wasn't there 10 years ago so can't comment on the changes. :-)

I say yes to the finding of small local eateries where you can eat for 'mas barato' lol...street food, the loncherias at the market or places like La Lomita, Picus etc..I eat for $2 to less than $10.

The 'diez pesos girls' ...there are ladies selling cute bracelets, necklaces etc. Items that I bought ranged from 10 pesos to about 140. Lovely stuff!

Cheap hotels...lots of cheap hotels...Xbulu-Ha and Marcianito are about $30-$35 a night...Color de Verano is $50 for a studio but you get 9 nights for the price of 7...Sabina's (really cute) is around $45. Lots of choices and some even cheaper than what I listed.

If you go, it'll be cool to read what you think of it now. :-)

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

Not counting a trip I took 32 years ago as a teenager, we first started visiting the island exactly 9 years ago - literally 9 years ago TODAY! :)

Islawoman, I seem to remember Ultramar running 9 years ago, but not the new bigger boat. Perhaps it was new on my first trip?

The biggest changes we have seen are the newer bigger hotels (Ixchel Condos, Privilege Aluxes, Isla Palace) as well as MANY more privately owned homes along the Caribbean road. With all that, there is naturally more traffic.

Still love the local feel to the place, plenty of opportunity to mingle with the locals and still plenty of cheap eats available, along with more higher cost food options as well.

No doubt you will notice the changes, but hopefully will still find the same Isla vibe you remember.

Mentioned in this post
Ultramar
Ultramar
20 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Privilege Aluxes
Privilege Aluxes
3,176 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What changes in 10 years in Isla Mujeres?

Ultramar started running about ten years ago-it's difficult for me to remember specific years. When you wake up in paradise day after day time becomes an illusive concept. Visitors often mention this "Isla effect" and after 23 years of it one comes to think of time differently and not always accurately.

Mentioned in this post
Ultramar
Ultramar
20 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico