We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

kansas city
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

you arrived? Can you get a better rate by just walking into a hotel without a reservation and asking for a room?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

Sometimes you'll get a better rate as a walk up, sometimes not. t depends when you go and, to a certain extent, what time of day it is and what the weather is doing.

If you walk up to a hotel in the pouring rain at 11 at night during peak season, your negotiating position is not as strong as it would be at 10 am on a sunny morning during slow season.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

I think it would depend on the time of year and how busy it is. And yes people do that but personally I would not but that is just me. After a long day of travel I like to know I don't have to schlep around looking for lodging!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,259 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

The island has a lot of hotels and apartments so chances are you'll have no problem finding a room in slow season. But walking around looking for a place is not my idea of fun either after a long day of travel. Reserve something for at least your first night then take a look around at other places if you wish.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

If you can beat hotel website pricing this way good for you.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

I tried that at Rocamar last trip and ended up paying more than web-advertised rate on the first night. Second night I showed them their own website and asked for the same rate. Same happened in a Cozumel hotel. I was disappointed how little they were willing to negotiate. (That was late April)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

I agree with the others...how busy is it, season and of course how good a person is at negotiating. I personally haven't done it as I want a specific place and sometimes a specific room so I book ahead but I would love to do a trip where I just fly by the seat of my pants and go from whatever place I like to another. TNY's idea of getting a room for at least the first night is a great idea.

Have fun and good luck!

EDIT...Gatine's experience in April where they didn't negotiate..November at Rocamar the walk up $ for ocean view with a/c was 700 pesos (approx. $55...regular hotel rate is about $80 I believe). :-)

Edited: 26 June 2013, 14:01
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

We've done it many times in the past. Now, I prefer to have a place lined up so I don't have to do "the search" back in the old days when it was just Perry & I, we always did this and actually thought it was part of the fun, but once the first baby came along it wasn't fun anymore ;) Schlepping a tired baby around is not fun, plus you have more stuff!

Perry still goes to Mexico w/o hotel reservations, for one person who isn't picky about the hotel it works out perfectly. We've really found some nice little cheap places that we never would have looked at this way.

So, if you are going in low season, don't mind the hunt and aren't too picky about where you end up, go for it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

And paying with cash vs plastic might make a difference. I've sent emails asking for cash prices and rates have come back up to 20%-25% off.

boston
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

We have done this a couple of times, since we fly standby. This last November we went to Bahia Chac Chi and had no problem getting a great room. Other times we have stayed at Posada del mar without a reservation. In May we have booked for one or two nights and then walked around for a new place, By doing this we have been able to get good deals at Nautibeach, Ixchel, and Frances Arlene.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone gone without a room reserved? Just got one when..

I've done it to the extent of staying at the smaller hotels, like Hotel Las Palmas. Never at a bigger resort, as there's too many ways for that to go wrong.....