We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learn to dive at IM???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Learn to dive at IM???

I had previously ruled out the underwater museum as my husband and I have never dived before and I've always been a bit unsure about diving...snorkeling is enough for me. But now my hubby has found out about the underwater museum and is really keen to go and for me to join him.

Has anyone learned to dive on IM before? Is learning to dive then wanting to visit the underwater museum with little experience a bit over zealous? We are on the island for 10 days.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

I would do the book work and pool dives at home, then take a referral letter with you and do your open water dives in Mexico. That way you won't spend your vacation time doing book work. You could ask if one of your open water dives could be at the museum.

You say are unsure about diving? Make sure are going to do this because YOU want to do it, not because your husband wants you to do it. I have seen one spouse dragging the other spouse kicking and screaming to class, and it doesn't work out well.

kansas city
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

A girl that works at Bobos is a dive instructor. Go there and ask. I don't remember her name.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

Thanks. I'm thinking I'll give it a go - the underwater museum seems so unique to not give it a try. But I'm from Australia and we have some 'not so friendly' fish in the sea which is why I'd put off diving. :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

Since you are in Australia, try a discover Scuba class. You spend about a half to an hour in the pool learning some basic skills and then do one 20 to 30 ft. dive under the supervision of an instructor. That way you will see if diving is for you before you spend a lot of money on an open water class.

OR do the discover class in Mexico and see if you can do your supervised dive at the museum?

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

I've been interested in this as week ans have done some looking into it. I've found u can do the discover class also know as a resort class I believe... And they will do the open water portion at the underwater museum. :). I've also read you can just snorkel the museum BUT if your not great at diving with a snorkel you may not be able to get a great view.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

DH took a resort dive course on Isla. After the class he told me he loved it and wanted to get certified. He spent the next 5 days studying and taking classes. Two years later we spent a week on Caye Caulker, Belize...he studied and took classes in and out of the water. He got his Advanced certification. A couple years after that he spent one of our weeks on Isla getting his Dive Rescue Certification. I get seasick, so have never been able to join him. Good thing I love the beach! The certifications take a lot of time and commitment. You will be giving up a lot of your vacation time if you choose to do all the work on Isla. As suggested above you can do much of the work at home. He loves diving and has never regretted taking the time......me?.....just look at all the cool places I got to explore! Have fun with your diving whichever you choose to do!

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

We have done Resort Course scuba courses in order to venture into vacation waters without the big job of mastering and maintaining diver status. 2 or 3 hours of intro, then scuba with instructors present. If you/he won't be able to use it regularly and keep it active, this may be a good alternative to certification.. I expect they offer Resort Scuba class in IM at the museum site.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
142 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

Check out Andy at Squaloadventures. Girlfriend learned to dive with him last year. We are back on the island now, arrived yesterday and I am diving with them again. They are great instructors and great people.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

The question as to whether to get certified depends on whether you intend to dive regularly or whether you think this is a one-time experience. You can do a "Discover Scuba" (aka "Resort Class") with any scuba shop on Isla. This will get you into the water with an instructor at your side, but you will not be certified and if you want to dive on a future trip you'll be starting from square one. Many people (myself included) start with a Discover Scuba class and discover that they like it so much they eventually become certified.

The other route is to go ahead and get your Open Water certification. As suggested above, you can start by doing the pool and classroom portions at home through a local scuba shop or club. You may also have some sort of Community Education organization offering this. You bring your paperwork (called a "referral") with you and once on vacation complete your certification by doing your open water checkout dives. This saves you the time of sitting in a class or working in a pool while on vacation (my wife did it this way and didn't mind at all since she found the classes fun). By the end of your trip you'll be fully certified and will be able to continue diving.

No matter which route you take, you'll want a scuba shop on Isla known for their instructors. The Aussie instructor at Aqua Adventures (Stephie) has consistently received rave reviews, even when the shop was getting poor reviews under previous ownership. I haven't taken any classes from her but we did meet and she was delightful.

BTW, we are also scheduled to dive MUSA with Aqua Adventures in early September. You are correct in your assessment that it can been seen much easier as divers. We selected this site because we haven't been diving since fall of 2011 and want some place that is easy to dive but also very rewarding.

Isla is a good place to try scuba for the first time--the dive sites are shallow and their isn't nearly as much current as you'll find on Cozumel. What makes Isla fairly pedestrian for experienced divers makes it ideal for first timers.

10. Re: Learn to dive at IM???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18