We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun to ferry

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Topic
cancun to ferry

What is the best way to get from Cancun airport to the ferry and how much is it. First time there with my son and im nervous.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
311 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancun to ferry

Easiest way is to pre book a transfer. You can use one of the services like Cancun Valet or Best Day. It is usually about $50-70 rt. It's not as cheap as the bus...but very easy.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun to ferry

If you check out the first Top Question over on the right, you'll see discussions of this very subject.

Most people hire a private transfer company to take them to/from the airport and the ferry. This can be as little as $17 per person round trip or $50-$60 per van, depending on who you use, whether you book the van to be private, etc. The most popular private transfer companies are Best Day, USA Transfers and a newer company called CARM (Cancun and Riviera Maya). I would say the private transfer method is the most convenient.

You could also take a shuttle to the ADO bus station in Cancun, then catch a $5 cab ride from there to the ferry. This would be your cheapest method, but you'd be taking a shuttle and transferring to a cab.

You could also take a cab directly to and from, but cabs leaving the airport charge around $60 and cabs returning charge around $30. I do not recommend this.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun to ferry

We used Best Day ($17 per person round trip) this last trip. No problemo.

For OP, it may sound stressful and daunting (airport to ferry, ferry to Isla, get to lodging - then back) but those of us on this forum see it as a fun adventure, and a badge of pride for all things Isla.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun to ferry

We use USA Transfers and they've always been there waiting for us when we walked out. Once you're outside and found your driver it's a snap to get to the ferry. I strongly recommend prearranging a transfer.

Inside the terminal, once you're past immigration and customs, ignore EVERYONE who tries to stop you or talk to you, no matter how official they may look. They're either timeshares sales people or tour operators. No eye contact, no comments, just keep walking like you know where you're going, straight out the door. Outside simply locate your transfer company. At the ferry docks someone may offer to take your luggage to the ferry. You can choose this option (for a tip) or say "no gracias" and wheel your own. You get your ticket inside a store on your right hand side as you're walking towards the ferry. Can't miss it. Then just line up with everyone else. Or not, if there's no line :)

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun to ferry

clgraham,

How old is your son? Will he be able to help you with your luggage and the navigation throught the airport? It's always helpful to have two sets of eyes when you step outside the airport doors. There will be a LOT of tour and shuttle operators waiting for their clients. With all the travelers and operators it can seem a bit chaotic. But just take a deep breath and keep an eye out for a guy with the sign of whichever company you booked. When you book your transfer you should get very good instructions from your operator on what do do at the airport and who to look for outside. Good luck, It's a new adventure, you'll love it!

Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun to ferry

Thanks....and yes he is old enough to help me,i guess i will have to look into prebooking a shuttle to the the ferry.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
139 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancun to ferry

Check with Maru at islamujerestrips@gmail.com or www.islamujerestrips.com/tour-operator/ she is great to work with, we use her for everything!!

Brownsburg, Indiana
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun to ferry

I buy a bus ticket at the airport which takes you to the Cancun bus station. Walk to the far side of the bus station and take the $5 cab

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cancun to ferry

I was wondering the same thing cigraham, I like the badge of pride fotodude.

" Best Day ($17 per person round trip) this last trip". No problemo.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancun to ferry

I agree with fotodude. I always use Best Day for the $17 round trip price you can't beat them. Thay have always been there for me at the airport and waiting at the ferry terminal in cancun. I read from others who swear by USA transfers, that they are equally good and although I've never used them I'd have no fear booking with them as well.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 00:15