We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perfect Bliss #6

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Perfect Bliss #6

It’s now Wednesday. We awoke at our usual Isla time - around 7:30am. I just can’t seem to manage that sunrise hour of the morning. I know there are those that love the sunrise and try to witness it every morning. Well, I guess I’ll have to take their word for it on how beautiful it is. Since Rick saw the sunrise every morning and said it was amazing I would like to take his word for it, but seeing as he went bungee jumping in Cancun, I have to say I don’t know if I can believe a single word he says since the boy is obviously not playing with a full deck. Although I have heard tequila or should I say that Isla liquid courage can make you do some strange things. Seriously Rick - I was impressed - you’re crazy, but I was impressed.

We looked outside and it was pouring with rain. We decided to just spend the morning hanging out in the hotel room waiting for the rain to subside. With Wimbledon being on TV live from London that week I was able to watch it for a while and that helped pass the time. Yvonne had a book with her that she was happy to read for a few hours on her ipad, so we were content to relax for the morning. So no breakfast that day - bummer. I wanted to eat at Mango.

Let me just say here that without a golf cart in the colonias we would be totally lost. We have a tendency to just jump in the golf cart for no apparent reason and just take off with absolutely no idea

on a destination. The rains finally subsided around 11:00am, so we did exactly that - took off to the south having no clue where we were going.

We had seen those chairs at Oscar’s Grill many times and wondered how people could possibly find them comfortable. So, first stop Oscar’s Grill to check out the chairs. It was a little too early to eat, but apparently it’s never too early to drink a beer and a glass of wine.

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

Those chairs are a lot more comfortable than they look. We had planned on returning sometime during the rest of our stay for a pizza and some garlic knots, but that never materialized.

Back on the golf cart (by the way - is it “on the golf cart” or “in the golf cart“?) and off we go again. Another stop at Punta Sur and then stop to take pictures of the beautiful scenery and the threatening rains on the Caribbean side.

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

Okay - Lunch time. Just in time we pull in to Chuuk Kay and the rain really starts to come down. We had been to Chuuk Kay a few times before but for one reason or another we had never eaten there. First time was on our last visit to Isla but when they didn’t have the tix n xic we wanted we left. Then we returned later in the week and they were closing early, so we had never actually gotten to eat there. So far we were doing a great job literally eating our way through our “must eat” list.

The food was very good and I wouldn’t hesitate to return at a future date. I just love the lights above that bar - fishing poles.

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

I had the stuffed chicken which was very good.

…photobucket.com/user/…

Yvonne had the black grouper, she said it was excellent.

…photobucket.com/user/…

We stayed there for another hour or so after eating just watching the rain and talking about how fortunate we felt being able to visit this wonderful piece of paradise as often as we do. I can’t swear to this, but I’m pretty sure where we were going for dinner had to have cropped up in our conversation.

Rain kind of interrupted our plans for the afternoon to a certain degree, but with so many wonderful places to visit, it didn’t take us long to come up with plan b. You can never go wrong having a few cocktails under a palapa - so it was off to Bahia Tortuga for a few drinks before returning to the hotel for a nice hot shower and to dress for dinner.

Dinner: Since we were in the colonias we wanted to eat with the locals. We wanted to try Bastos or La Bruja. We drove passed Bastos and it was closed, so we opted for La Bruja.

…photobucket.com/user/…

Let me just say that the food we had here was really really tasty. We were all alcoholed out, so I opted for the Watermelon water which was incredible.

…photobucket.com/user/…

Then I had the Soup de Lima - wow you talk about good. This stuff was so full of chicken - Yummy. This was truly a meal on its own.

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

For the main course Yvonne had the marinated steak fajitas and I had the marinated arrichera tacos. The flavor of both of these meals were wonderful.

…photobucket.com/user/…

…photobucket.com/user/…

There was one other table occupied during our meal there, and then as we were leaving a family of six people were about to walk in. I couldn’t believe my eyes, they all got there on one scooter. One kid up front sitting on the handlebars in front of the mom who was driving, One on each knee of the dad sitting behind the mom and then an older kid on the back holding on for dear life around the dad’s neck. Brought to mind that old saying, “where there’s a will, there’s a way”.

During our meal the rains had returned, so we decided to have an early night and make our way back to the hotel.

Another day in paradise comes to a close.

Houston
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

Man those pics of the food at La Bruja - there are no words. There is nothing better than a hearty soup. Chicken soup, lime soup, bean soup, I like them all on Isla. As many times as I have been to Isla for some reason I have never made it to La Bruja. That little problem will be fixed at the end of September.

Great trip reporting Shamro!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

I am definitely enjoying your reports. Our next trip isn't until the day before Thanksgiving, and reading your reports and seeing your pics make me wish I were there now. That stuffed chicken at Chuuk Kay looks awesome.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

La Bruja- now I will not be able to think of anything but enchiladas suiza all day! :)

Loving your Blissful reports!

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

Always wanted to try chuuk Kay and oscars was on our list too for July but we never got there. Funny how some plans just never happen when on isla! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

We've had La Bruja on our list literally every trip, but have yet to make it there. Your pictures have convinced me that this is the trip!

ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

Great Report..I am always amazed at how good hot soup is when it is so hot outside.. That soup is definately on my list for September.. Thanks again for the photo's.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 15:20
Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

I can't believe you had rain. We did not have any rain. We also drove our golf cart to Mango Café prior to 8:00 am and didn't have rain.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

dcikon2: This is a trip report from the beginning of July and not a live update.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 23:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

Shamro,

You say crazy like it's a bad thing... I think maybe you did take the plunge and now just don't want to admit it. :-) ITA about the Soup de Lima at La Bruja, it's absolutely delicious and for me is second only to the black bean soup at Poc Chuc. I love Bahia Tortuga and it's one of my two favorite places to end a great Isla day, Tiny's being the other end of the day spot. Actually, maybe I have three favorite places if you throw in Cafe del Mar and Jesus Campuzano. Well then there's Fenix so maybe four... I love that you didn't let the rain get you down. I've been caught out on the tip of Punta Sur in the down pouring rain and it was a really great day, a little wet, but an experience I'll never forget. Again, thanks for the great report and pictures!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perfect Bliss #6

Rick: Anything that makes my life flash in front of my eyes at my age, I really need to stay away from.

You mentioned my four favorite places also. Depending on how much I had to drink or what hotel I am staying at that particular day can determine where I close out the evening.

I have a picture somewhere where I was wearing my snorkel and mask driving along Medina. I wish I could find it. While on vacation I have a rule as to when I can start drinking - Nothing before 9:00am. So sitting under a palapa with a cold one escaping the rain early in the morning is totally acceptable.